Tips it is (non-tip experiment failed)

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 07:29 am
I understand that a lot of people feel here in the US that we should forego tipping, so Joe's Crab Shack tried it out. It failed.

The casual seafood chain raised its menu prices at the test sites and said it gave higher, fixed wages to its staff. At the time, Ray Blanchette, then the chief executive of its parent company, Ignite Restaurant Group, called tipping “an antiquated model.”

Company research had found that 60 percent of the restaurants’ customers disliked the change in tipping, Mr. Merritt said. They wanted to inspire good service with their tips and they didn’t trust management to pass on the money to its employees, he said.

The number of customers at the no-tip locations dropped 8 percent to 10 percent on average, he said.

But it does seem some other restaurants have tried it - and levels of success have varied.

Union Square Hospitality Group, owned by Danny Meyer, announced plans last year to eliminate tips at its 13 restaurants, which employ 1,800 workers.

The company rolled out the policy at three New York locations. Mr. Meyer has indicated that the change has been an initial success. The past December was the most profitable month the Modern has had. He said some of that result might be because of media coverage of the no-tipping policy, but he was confident it would extend to the other locations.

For full article -
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/13/business/joes-crab-shack-tried-getting-rid-of-tips-it-didnt-last-long.html?_r=0
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,280 • Replies: 4
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 08:05 am
@Linkat,
I would go to a tip-less restaurant over a tipping one any day. The idea that servers should be at the mercy of the customers' generosity is one that I've never understood.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 08:06 am
@Linkat,
" They wanted to inspire good service with their tips "

Be inspired to please me, my man, or your children shall go hungry tonight.

All sounds a bit Downton to me,
Linkat

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 10:05 am
@Lordyaswas,
Its interesting -- tough to change a culture that is used to this -- on both sides. I heard them talking about it on the radio this morning and many servers actually prefer the tips rather than getting the higher pay.

And interesting how some restaurants it went over well and others not so much. Wonder if it is in the way it is being advertised. I also look at it that the one it didn't go so well - was a chain. It could be that the patrons are used to the prices being a certain amount and then they go into this restaurant and all the prices are higher whereas they can go into another one 20 miles away and it is cheaper.

Or maybe they like the control thing - who knows.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 10:40 am
As an American this whole conversation of tipping is so insignificant. If we want to tip, we will tip. If we don't want to tip, we won't tip. There is nothing complicated about this issue.

If I choose to go to any restaurant, that restaurant's tipping policy never enters my mind. As long as the service wasn't bad, I always tip. That's just what we Americans do. We don't care. What's that old saying "When In Rome, Do As The Romans Do". If someone doesn't want to tip, then don't tip. It's not complicated.

Let's be clear. We only tip at restaurants where you are seated at a table and serve by a server. We are not talking about fast food restaurants. I have never heard of anyone tipping at Burger King, McDonald's, Kentucky Fried Chicken, or other fast food restaurants. We don't tip at fast food restaurants.

If I choose to go to a restaurant, there are five basic things I care about:
1. How good is the food
2. What are the specific dishes listed on their menu.
3 The Cleanliness of the restaurant
4. The convenience of the restaurant's location.
5. The cost and prices.

These are really the only five things I really care about when choosing to go to any particular restaurant.
0 Replies