"Carrie"

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 12:23 pm
Quote:
Along with The Ladykillers and The Man in the White Suit (both starring Guinness), The Lavender Hill Mob represents the golden age of British comedy, and it's still delightfully entertaining.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6303209963/104-0006428-8121563?v=glance

The Tom Hanks version of The Ladykillers is a remake of the Alec Guinness Ladykillers. Dunno if that Ladykillers was a remake of anything earlier.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 12:36 pm
Thanks, ehBeth. I appreciate the Coen Bros. but when I realized that they had never read The Odyssey, I begin to understand why it was difficult to match the characters in O Brother Where Art Thou, to Homer's stuff.

I believe the Lavender Hill Mob was a remake of an earlier Lady Killers, but I will await lightwizard to enlighten us.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 12:41 pm
I think the plots of The Lavender Hill Mob and The Ladykillers are not really that similar.

Extremely pithy IMDB summaries:

Quote:
Comedy about a meek bank clerk who plans a theft from his own bank

Quote:
Comedy about a gang of crooks who rent a house in London, and the innocent old landlady that they think they can easily kill
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 12:51 pm
Right, TO.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:53 pm
A very precocious 12 year old if he understands the characterizations and the interactions of "M & C." It did not do that well at the box office with the teeny bopper audience particularly.

"Titanic" is much simpler and accessible. The sinking of the ship could fascinate youngsters -- I know I was hooked by the true story at a very young age.

"The Lady Killers" is not a remake of "The Lavendar Hill Mob" even though they are both in the crime caper category and very funny movies. "The Lady Killers" with Tom Hanks is a remake of the earlier "TLK."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:58 pm
I've been thinking about Ealing Studios films all afternoon now.

An old friend of mine used to, among other things, review films and videos for a national paper here. I spent a truly marvellous long weekend watching nothing but Ealing Studios films on video about 20 years ago. Watching a whole whack of those films made me re-set the bar for what I expect in a film. Not the technical qualities - but the writing! and acting.

Thanks for the memories.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:06 pm
Ealing Studios LINK:

http://www.ealingstudios.co.uk/home_flash.html
0 Replies