Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?

mchol

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:32 am
Is it considered murder to abort a fetus under 3 months?

Does a mother have a choice to decide what's best for her and the baby?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 9,655 • Replies: 154
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:39 am
Re: Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?
mchol wrote:
Is it considered murder to abort a fetus under 3 months?

No.

mchol wrote:
Does a mother have a choice to decide what's best for her and the baby?

Yes. Always and only.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:51 am
here we go again:

the dichotomy here is not right, and wrong; it is a war between rote belief in an obscenely outdated code of ethics, generated by an ancient hierarchy dependent on obedience to their strictly executed pronouncements, to maintain the control of the ruling class; with the new developments of scientific truth, and social justice.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 08:52 am
Truth, justice and the American way . . .

I usually don't vote in these things, but i feel strongly about this. It's the business of the woman in question, an not the business of anyone else.

An' if ya don't agree, yer mama sucks eggs.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 10:20 am
Wait, wait -- I do agree, and yet she sucks eggs anyway. Please explain.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 10:35 am
I am always at a loss to explain anything about you dog, but you smell alright, so i like ya . . .
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 10:57 am
This is a tough issue. I think personally I would allow unquestioned abortions if
1) the life/health of the the mother is at stake
2) there is something wrong with the fetus such that it will be born significantly malformed or mentally disabled (but, who decides what is 'significantly'?)
3) the pregnancy resulted from rape or incest

In other cases, I LEAN pro-choice, but agree that abortion shouldn't be used as afterthought birth control. I think there is nothing wrong with requiring a woman to be counseled on options to abortion before going through with the procedure. I also think there should be at least some consideration to any objections to the abortion by a committed father.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:02 am
More on this topic can be found here...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:55 am
BoGoWo wrote:
here we go again:

the dichotomy here is not right, and wrong; it is a war between rote belief in an obscenely outdated code of ethics, generated by an ancient hierarchy dependent on obedience to their strictly executed pronouncements, to maintain the control of the ruling class; with the new developments of scientific truth, and social justice.

Finely expressed sentiments, but, in the context of this discussion, practically meaningless.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 12:01 pm
Equus wrote:
This is a tough issue. I think personally I would allow unquestioned abortions if
1) the life/health of the the mother is at stake
2) there is something wrong with the fetus such that it will be born significantly malformed or mentally disabled (but, who decides what is 'significantly'?)
3) the pregnancy resulted from rape or incest

In other cases, I LEAN pro-choice, but agree that abortion shouldn't be used as afterthought birth control. I think there is nothing wrong with requiring a woman to be counseled on options to abortion before going through with the procedure. I also think there should be at least some consideration to any objections to the abortion by a committed father.

Of course, there's no way to know if 1, 2, or 3 apply unless you question. I believe all abortions should be unquestioned.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 12:41 pm
If someone could explain, how "murder" can be "legalised" ... (must have missed something in "Philosophy of Law" classes :wink: )
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 01:34 pm
Partial birth abortion= legalized murder.
Capital punishment= legalized murder.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 01:35 pm
invasion of Iraq=legalized murder
and the beat goes on, and on, and on.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 01:36 pm
Yep, dys.

<thinking of more...>
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 01:42 pm
oh yeah, we got from Nader driving a Corvair was legalized murder-self inflicted (did Kerry drive a Corvair?)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 01:47 pm
Geo W. Shrub attempting to speak English=murder
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 01:51 pm
nah, aggravated assault at worst
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 01:58 pm
prochoice-- all the way. even as a form of birth control. it's better to not have unwanted children in the world.

i heard this conservative professor talk about one of his 19 year old students who got knocked up so she had a shot-gun wedding because she was keeping the baby.

professor: "she's taking responsibility for her actions"

me: "what about him taking some responsibility and using condoms?"

why o' why, or may i say, more often than not, is the responsibility put on the woman when it is men who are making the laws about abortion. it really burns my keester.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 02:10 pm
Sofia wrote:
Partial birth abortion= legalized murder.
Capital punishment= legalized murder.

Murder is the act of killing another human being with "malice aforethought".
Malice aforethought is defined to be the intent to kill or to inflict bodily injury, either express or implied.

Legal, established by or founded upon law or official or accepted rules.

Murder is illegal in almost every society and actually can't ever be legal qua definitionem.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 03:44 pm
Walter: I think "legalized murder" is a deliberate ambiguity, intended to highlight the contradictions that some perceive to be inherent in the pro-choice abortion position. Of course, murder can no more be legalized than one can listen to the sound of one hand clapping. It's a conundrum -- or a koan.
0 Replies