George Zimmerman puts gun that killed Trayvon Martin up for auction

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 11:52 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Probably not. I think it's kind of sick, and I own more than one firearm.

Yes, but gun "rights" are not your reason for living.
roger

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 12:11 am
@dlowan,
No, but I do consider them important. Somebody wants to get rowdy, like in traffic, they have to consider the possibility even though the person they are looking at is probably not carrying. Kind of a herd immunity thing.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 12:19 am
@roger,
The only reason I no longer have a gun is because my mother in law had a prowler. She lived practically in the woods. I went to her house at night and was extra cautious approaching. I had a pistol in my hand. At this point the police drove up. I dropped the gun beside the truck, so they would not see me carrying. One of the cops went to the truck while I was at my mother in law's house. He picked it up and never would admit it. I just never bought another.
oralloy

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 02:03 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
One of the rare instances where I actually agree with FOX news conservative commentator Bill O'Reilly. I generally don't agree with Bill O'Reilly on just about anything.

Maybe if the Liberals ever destroy your life, you will understand why people who are victimized by the Liberals might want to recoup their loses.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 05:03 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
The gun has been relisted.
Starting bid: $100,000
Buy it now: $500,000
Zero bidders at the moment.

Update: Apparently the relisting has not been activated yet. So people can look right now but not yet bid.

The auction is scheduled to start May 17, 2016 at 9:00 AM EDT.

The auction is scheduled to end May 18, 2016 at 12:00 PM EDT.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 05:13 pm
@roger,
At least you are reasonable about the subject though, on both sides of this argument there is often a lot of undue passion and not a whole lot of thoughtfulness. I remember that even on the subject of Zimmerman's culpability you were more readily convinced than I was (despite his tasteless behavior since being acquitted I still think the acquittal was legally correct) despite me generally favoring more gun control etc. Many gun rights activists would let that one position color everything they see and could not ever consider the man guilty.
oralloy

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 05:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Many gun rights activists would let that one position color everything they see and could not ever consider the man guilty.

There is the small matter of there being no evidence at all of his guilt, and circumstantial evidence that it was legitimate self defense.

I'll die before I ever knowingly condemn an innocent person.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 06:34 pm
@oralloy,
Like I said, I thought the acquittal was legally legitimate. But that wasn't my point, my point is that some people take their political positions to such extremes that they are incapable of acknowledging counter-examples to their positions. I was just seconding dlowan's comment that roger is not an ideologue of that ilk.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 08:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You got a long memory, Rob. I'll have to keep that in mind.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 08:36 pm
@roger,
People keep saying that to me but I feel like my memory is fading compared to what it used to be. It used to be practically photographic but now I am forgetting noticeably more than ever.

But I still remember some of our very first conversations from nearly two decades ago, and even most of the times you taught me words or terms I hadn't seen before (e.g. "stopped clock is right twice a day" and "fungible" in a discussion about oil).
oralloy

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 02:15 am
@Robert Gentel,
What's the a2k policy regarding linking to Mr. Zimmerman's gun auction?

I'm probably going to post an update every time I see something new, but I'm not going to monitor the auction continuously. Some people might be interested in seeing how it is going even when I'm not around.

On the other hand, it would be linking to a commercial sale. And if someone really wanted to find it for themselves, it shouldn't be that hard to find the auction using a search engine.

On the other other hand, with a starting bid of $100,000 probably not many people who follow the link will actually be making a bid, so the commercial properties of the link will only be hypothetical.
roger

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 01:09 pm
@oralloy,
I can't speak for Robert, but I wouldn't hesitate to link to a commercial site for informational purposes. In fact, if someone needed a source for Tiny Tot Cars, I would provide it if it didn't involve much research. I would not give the link if I were the seller.

Baldimo

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 01:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why would you drop the gun? Were you not allowed to have one? It seems to me if you were out there investigating a prowler on the property, then you had every right to have a gun on your person.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 01:51 pm
@roger,
Most of the time it is just a matter of value to the community, if it provides value (and information can be value) then it is not proscribed, especially if you are not doing so for self promotion.
0 Replies

Jay2know

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 08:00 pm
Doesn't the NRA approve of gun abuse?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 08:13 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Why would you drop the gun? Were you not allowed to have one? It seems to me if you were out there investigating a prowler on the property, then you had every right to have a gun on your person.

When the cops are looking for a prowler in the dark of night and their lights fall on you away from the house with a gun in your hand you are not likely going to survive long enough to protest your right to carry.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 01:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
I call bullshit! It is easy enough show your ID that you live in the area. Alerting them to your presence is also another way to keep from getting shot. You would only get shot if you pointed the gun and them or made a threatening move.
parados

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 03:42 pm
@Baldimo,
Having a gun in your hand is not considered a danger? Hell.. having a cell phone can get you shot.
Of course, being white, the cops would probably not shoot you the minute they saw you with a gun in your hand so maybe you would be OK.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 03:47 pm
@parados,
I continue to call bullshit.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 03:48 pm
@Baldimo,
What you think about it does not concern me. You were not there. You can only engage in hypotheticals.