Why do we exist?

jeremiahscheidt

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 08:09 am
@Setanta,
If life is simply a collocation of atoms then what purpose do you serve? What does your opinion matter? And what standard do we base life upon?
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 10:00 am
@mark noble,
I don't accept the premise that one has to be able to "see" things to accept theories about them.

I can't "see" bacteria, or atoms for that matter, but I know they exist.
kency123

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 02:19 pm
@InfraBlue,
Just like evolution.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 02:52 pm
@kency123,
kency123 wrote:

Just like evolution.

And photosynthesis.
kency123

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 03:05 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
And photosynthesis.

And relativity.
Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 03:11 am
And sanity . . .

(I've never seen it, but i assume it exists.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 03:23 am
@jeremiahscheidt,
jeremiahscheidt wrote:
If life is simply a collocation of atoms then what purpose do you serve? What does your opinion matter? And what standard do we base life upon?

First things first: you have introduced the term "collocation," i did not. Collocation describes a purposive action, so you are still obviously trapped in your mind by the idea that there is some agent acting on events in the cosmos. I used the word concatenation, which refers to a series of interconnected things or events. That's not the same at all. Keep your superstitions to yourself.

My remarks were a response to the author's question. My remarks were not addressed to you, and certainly have no relation to your superstitions. The conditions on the planet and the ordinary chemical reactions of elemental molecules and chemical compounds are sufficient to explain the rise of life on this planet. Your magic sky daddy is not needed.

I don't serve any purpose. There is no purpose. Life is its own justification--it just is. There is no "standard" upon which life is based because life results whenever conditions favor its rise, and once life exists, it gets into all manner of places, with or without the consent of people addicted to thousands of years old mumbo-jumbo about magic beings in the sky.

If you don't think my opinion matters (which would be no skin off my nose), then don't read what i post and don't respond to it.
0 Replies

kency123

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 07:39 am
@jeremiahscheidt,
Quote:
what purpose do you serve? What does your opinion matter? And what standard do we base life upon?

Is there anything to suggest any of us serve a purpose? Or that anyone's opinion, in the grand scheme of things, matters? And do we not simply follow standards that suit the survival of the species?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 08:38 am
@Maybebroken,
Quote:
Why do we exist?

WHY NOT?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 09:06 am
I exist because my parents got together one night and -

I continue to exist because anabolism thus far in my case out weighs catabolism.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 09:22 am
We exist because there's nothing else to do, and the alternative is unappealing.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 09:42 am
@kency123,
There you go.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 06:24 am
@InfraBlue,
You 'accept' anything you like.
I 'question' Everything.

Like I said - The OP is self-relative.
You can discuss it eternally/ly and it will ALWAYS, ONLY, EVER be - As YOU call it.
0 Replies