Is there something wrong with me?

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 07:08 am
I have attempted putting myself out into the public recently, hoping that I could meet someone that I could possibly get into a relationship with, but it doesn't seem that too many guys are interested in me. My entire life I have only had one boyfriend, which I later found out that the only reason he even agreed to be in a relationship with me was due to other guys NOT wanting to be in a relationship with me, but that was some time ago. And honestly I miss being in a relationship. It's not even an issue of thinking that ALL guys have to find me attractive, none do what-so-ever. I have tried modifying my beauty by way of make-up, acne treatment, better wardrobe. I have even tried working on my personality, my body and how approachable I am. Most of the guys that I meet always compliment how nice I am and how they like that about me, but there are only compliments. Never anything serious. I am getting to the point where I perceive myself as an unattractive, unlovable person who will be alone with her cats, which is a problem because I would like kids some day.

jespah

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 07:33 am
@Maybebroken,
Then you need to (a) fish in a different pond and/or (b ) use different bait.

Spend time doing things you enjoy, so long as they get you out of the house and among people. Take a class. Volunteer. Work out. Don't do these things because you hope to meet someone; do them for the sheer love of doing them. Put new deposits into your own personal satisfaction bank.

And talk to people. Not just men, not just men in your age group, and not just single people. That is, practice talking to people, being social, and making friends. There is a possibility that one (or more than one) of these people has a son or nephew or neighbor or coworker, etc. who would be a good person for you to date. Or maybe they don't. But these kinds of social interactions will also help you to feel you're not broken. Because I am sure you are not.

Also, try online. Not just dating sites but also groups and pages on Facebook which interest you. Same thing applies as with the in-person stuff; you talk to everyone and you don't jump in for the sole purpose of meeting someone to date. You do this stuff because you enjoy it.

Why am I suggesting both?
  • More options = more opportunities
  • You will meet both introverts and extroverts this way
  • You will boost your self-confidence both ways
  • You'll have awesome stuff to talk to on some first dates

And I said plural for first dates - you may find you try and it doesn't work a few times. The old saying about kissing frogs is true. It is rare that we meet our match on the first or second try. Be patient and put yourself in positions where you can meet people.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 07:36 am
@Maybebroken,
Maybe it is the cats. That would be a non-starter for me.

Seriously though, just keep putting yourself out there. Join groups that may interest you. Be yourself. Someone will discover that you are a true diamond. Probably when you least expect it.
0 Replies

tommyirish2

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 07:51 am
@Maybebroken,
Are you trying too hard? Maybe you should just let things happen in that regard. Be yourself, and sometime the right person will arrive.. and appreciate who you are
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 09:50 am
@Maybebroken,
Do you know what 'having cats' actually boils down to?
Think about it...
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 09:59 am
"Maybe it is the cats. That would be a non-starter for me."

Ha.

Other non-starters for me would be: a smoker, drugs, married, whiney, lives with mother; needy, no job.

Maybebroken

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 01:18 am
@mark noble,
I don't think that I do?
0 Replies

Maybebroken

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 01:19 am
@PUNKEY,
I'm almost none of those things that you have listed, perhaps I am "needy", but that's something that I can't help. I NEED love and affection, reassurance that I am loved and needed.
0 Replies