Devastated

caligrl

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 06:49 am
I was dating a great guy who treated me amazingly. Not lying when I say we got a long wonderfully and were crazy about each other. He and his ex wife have been divorced for four years. She cheated on him and they had various problems. Two years ago, they tried to work it out again, and it failed for the same reasons it did in the first place. Recently, out of the blue, we broke up, because "he was not ready" and could not "emotionally connect." I was floored and heartbroken. In my eyes, we had such a good thing and treated each other very well. Come to find out, two weeks later, he is back gallivanting with his ex. He even texted me from her house. What is wrong with him? Why would he give up something healthy and good to go back to that? Will it work a THIRD time?Is this any indication of the person I am? I am just devastated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,105 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 06:53 am
@caligrl,
Clearly (now), he's emotionally stunted or emotionally unaware of the effect on others about what he's sorting (or sorted) through in his life. Some might call it signs of narcissism on his part. He was cheated on by her...and then ... in some direct or indirect way, ... he cheated on you with her.

He isn't the person you thought he was and that advertised himself to be. In a few short words, he has lied to you and manipulated the relationship. Don't participate in his life drama. Stop the dance.

Sad to say, but it's time to move on. I don't think it'll be easy, but heal yourself the best way you know how and get this person out of your life and any contact whatsoever. Delete and/or block any contact.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 07:43 am
@caligrl,
I think this is simple. He is still emotionally attached to his ex. He wants to try again to work things out and get back together. There is nothing wrong with him. He simply has feelings for her. Nor does this have anything to do with you.

Sure it hurts now. But better that this happen now than down the road when you two had been together longer. (You did not say how long the two of you had been dating, but I take it that it has not been for too very long.)

Don't wait on him to come back to you. Move on. If he changes his mind and comes back to you, tell him you have changed your mind about him and you are not ready and cannot emotionally connect with someone who cannot cut the emotional ties with an ex.

caligrl

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 08:04 am
@CoastalRat,
Thank you for your response. I would be more understanding (which clearly I have no choice) if this wasn't a back and forth tumultuous relationship that he has told me is unhealthy. I just don;t have much sympathy for him on it if he knows it's not good and keeps going back.
CoastalRat

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 09:18 am
@caligrl,
I don't think you need to have any sympathy for him at all. Whether he knows it is good or not is irrelevant. He is choosing to go back. He is choosing to try again with his ex. You may not like it. You may think it is bad for him. You may think he is making a mistake. (And he may be.) But it is his choice.

All you can control is you. When I was much younger than I am now, I had a somewhat similar situation with a woman I was dating. We hit it off well and I thought we were perfect for each other. Up until the time she dumped me because I was too serious. She got married 6 months later to a guy who was 12 years older than her. (She had been close friends with he and his wife. Wife died in a car accident about the time she and I started dating. She decided she wanted to give it a go with him.) I "believed" she was making a mistake. But it was her mistake to make. In the same manner, you "believe" your guy is making a mistake. But it is his mistake to make. At least it is happening now instead of a year from now. lol

Good luck to you.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 03:26 pm
Sorry about your hurt. I know how you feel.

I think if you REALLY think about it, you will find that he's just living out his character.

I had a similar situation in my past. When I thought about it, I realized, well, that's just the way he REALLY was: liar, cheater, immature, impulsive, needy. It should have come at no surprise for what he did. But I was blinded by love and my own issues.

Time will allow you to see this for what is really was.

caligrl

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 07:17 am
@PUNKEY,
Did they end up together forever? I know it ultimately doesn't matter... just curious
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 09:32 pm
@caligrl,
Yes. And I hear he is miserable. But I no longer care.

He's right where he wanted to be.

0 Replies