Method for countering daily spam ?

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 04:33 pm
There's a volunteer crew who deal with this issue now. I don't think people are aware of the limitations of volunteer time, or of technological solutions. Blocking titles with urls in them would require a major programming change.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 01:42 pm
@fresco,
Spam is actually a pretty hard problem to solve, which is why it still exists after all these years of annoying people that much. That being said there are a lot of things a2k could do to better handle spam, but these things are being done on a new version of the platform instead of trying to patch both the ancient version and work on the new version (working on both is a workload our small company can't afford).

So we are stuck with manually handling most of it till we finish a better version that we can hopefully afford to maintain better than this one.
fresco

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 02:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks for that info.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 02:55 pm
@fresco,
Sorry. Now I do get you have noticed it. But you aren't alone. I live 1 time zone away from the west coast of the US and have seen something like six pages of spam before it was caught, which I can understand happening. Mods are human and have lives.

I have often reported one spam and found in a few minutes that it was serial spam and then just alerted the mods that it wasn't only one, more was happening. This is just a guess, that once they find the barrage, they know where and how to beat it.
0 Replies