Does that mean you 'get' it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,273 • Replies: 13
No top replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 06:03 pm
I'm not a big movie watcher but I do remember, I think, Zardoz. Please describe, in a sentence or two, the opening scene. Thanks.
0 Replies

ReX

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 06:34 pm
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070948/
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 07:31 pm
hi Smile
i saw zardoz for the first time last year
i was round at my friends and i saw it in his dvd collection
it aroused my curiosity being such a weird title and yet having sean connery in it...and id never heard of it b4
my mate told me it was a 70's cult classic
so we watched it
i thought the film itself was great
i liked the idea of the future world controlled by psychics who had shielded themselves from the rest of humanity who had turned back into primitives
i found the end pretty strange and i thought it a bit weird how his manlyness and male potency stimulated these sterile immortals
i found the bit where he journeyed to the centre of the crystal mind thing strange and i thought it could have been done better
i found it odd that he let his mates in at the end to kill all the immortals and the fact they just all let themselves be killed so easily
yet him and his woman immortal who he hadd turned back into a 'feeling sexual person' could hide and the n procreate
i think the film could have had a better ending but then again it wasnt my film
i thought all the immortals who had gone senile was a strange bit of the movie too
i liked the flying head bit and the wi'ZARD of OZ' bit
i found it odd that it was introduced by the immortal who was dead now

all things considered though i thought it was a cool movie for its time given it was made in the seventies

so there are my thoughts on it
im not really a movie buff
i just happened to see this film

great movie in my opinion

different from your average film...

i hope thats the kind of answer your looking for rex Smile
i only saw it once and memories of it are a bit faded
so i doubt i could discuss the pros and cons of the film to any greater depth
but thats my 2 cents for ya

peace n love dude
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 07:40 pm
I made a response, then voted in the poll before the response was processed so I lost both.

I saw Zardoz maybe 15 years ago. I rented it because it had Connery in it and I had a thing for him at that time. Zardoz cured my of my crush on Sean Connery (ha!). Such a bizare movie. I can't say that it is the worst movie all past and future time - it has it's points, but it was way too..... stoned.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:33 am
Who can short a movie which insists that worshipping a giant rock has a deep philosophical meaning? I can.

If it isn't the worst movie ever made, it's at least a sci-fi travesty on drugs. It never fails to amaze me how much great sci-fi there is and the movies continue to invent crap like this.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:35 am
it must have been my drug induced state that made it so cool Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:39 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Who can short a movie which insists that worshipping a giant rock has a deep philosophical meaning? I can.

If it isn't the worst movie ever made, it's at least a sci-fi travesty on drugs. It never fails to amaze me how much great sci-fi there is and the movies continue to invent crap like this.

I thought that's what 2001 was all about. Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:40 am
Laughing That could be! Don't ever watch it straight without an airsick bag, however.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:44 am
Very Happy yeah i cant say its on my
'must watch again list'

and as im staight nowadays ill take you up on that advice Smile

and cav the humour is appreciated as always Wink
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:46 am
"2001: A Space Odyssey" was based on what was considered one of the top ten best sci-fi short stories ever written, Arthur C. Clarke's "The Sentinel," written long before all the speculation that aliens could be responsible for mankind's evolution. It may be now "old hat," but being released nearly at the same time we made the first trip to the moon it was revolutionary to a mostly nieve movie audience. It wasn't written originally for the screen as the patchwork quilt of "Zardoz." Still sounds like a mild detergent meant for delicate fabrics. For delicate minds it causes headaches.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:52 am
(Anyone recognize that the giant rock, or giant alien turd if you will, in "Zardoz" is basically a rip-off of "2001.")
0 Replies

ReX

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:58 am
The comments on IMDB seems very promising nonetheless :p
And as for rip-offs...It's research when several people have come up with it and you steal it all and just put it in different clothing(or none, like in zardoz). Even Shakespeare merely repeated already known to us, cliches. He just did it in a different way, in the end it's not what he wrote or what zardoz objectively is. It's the way you look at it. With a deeper insight, or just plain stoned :p
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 01:51 pm
The comments (and the low 5.4 user rating) seem to be as conflicted as the movie script which tended to make the concept of the film descend into some unintentional silliness. It would be a good bookend movie to Altman's satirical travesty "Quintet." Sean Connery's acting in "Zardoz" was not his best outing and made the film seem even more pretentious and ponderous. There are just too many great sci-fi and fantasy films for this one to come out looking any more than average. It's not all bad and I could be convinced to withdraw just the negative comments about it in return for again becoming ambivalant towards the movie.
0 Replies