Overused words that need to disappear

Foofie

Tue 10 May, 2016 01:12 pm
To get rid of an overused word, it can be supplanted with a new meaning. The old meaning will eventually disappear for many. For example, when a teenage boy is less than macho, or at least too sensitive in the eyes of peers, some other teen might accuse him of being "queer." So, if adults started using the word queer to connote those that do not subscribe to their beliefs, at some point the young people may see that word has a changed meaning.

Also, words that have only a positive connotation today, like "thin" can be used for other reasons. Or, "good-looking" can be used for more inanimate objects. In other words, language might be able to make us all less superficial. Or, at least expose the superficiality in many people.

George

Tue 10 May, 2016 01:28 pm
@Foofie,
Classic
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 10 May, 2016 01:35 pm
@neologist,
Thanks Neo, on one single day, I saw the word iconic attached to eyeshadow, on the cover of a Talbots catalog and several other items including singers and musicians and my head exploded. I'm so sick if the I word, I could spit.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 10 May, 2016 03:22 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I'm late to the party, I also scream when I hear some one say "It is what it is".

I'm okay with that one. It's just a kind of verbal shrug.
ossobuco

Tue 10 May, 2016 04:20 pm
@roger,
For sure...
Sturgis

Wed 11 May, 2016 07:59 am
@ossobuco,
Another which needs to stop is, I concur .

It is overused to a point of meaninglessness. It often brings to mind the Samuel Johnson quote: He who praises everybody, praises nobody.
glitterbag

Wed 11 May, 2016 12:27 pm
@Sturgis,
Another one is sticking the word 'basically' in as if it truly boils down to the point. Well, basically, your honor, we were like wow, and basically everything was like calm then suddenly this cop like stops us and basically...........you can make up the rest.
ossobuco

Wed 11 May, 2016 12:29 pm
@glitterbag,
In short, I think basically is way overused.
saab

Wed 11 May, 2016 02:01 pm
There is another word I do not like and that is RESOLVED, when a problem is settled for the first time.
glitterbag

Wed 11 May, 2016 02:19 pm
@saab,
Oh and let's not ever say baby daddy or baby momma, like whatever
glitterbag

Wed 11 May, 2016 07:07 pm
@glitterbag,
I'm getting overload on 'closure', I need closure, I never got closure, I have to get closure....aggggggghhhhhhhhhh.
George

Thu 12 May, 2016 05:45 am
@glitterbag,
I just pulled up my zipper.
Setanta

Thu 12 May, 2016 05:47 am
Every day in every way . .. you're a very bad man, George . . .
George

Thu 12 May, 2016 05:50 am
@Setanta,
Why, thank you.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 12 May, 2016 06:38 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

In short, I think basically is way overused.

Especially when those In shorts really should be In longs
0 Replies

Cinderellie74

Thu 12 May, 2016 10:47 am
I tend to overuse the phrase "I'm sorry" It is my way of saying I understand or I feel bad you are hurting or I wish I could say or do something for you.

I hear people overuse the words "uh huh, like, OMG, FML, SMH" I know there are more I just can't think of them.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Fri 13 May, 2016 01:36 pm
Cut to the chase...

Most often uttered after half the people who were listening are asleep from boredom.
ossobuco

Fri 13 May, 2016 02:00 pm
A long time ago when I was finishing up my four years of landscape architecture classes, we students were privileged to have to take a class in business writing. That was my most hated class ever. By the time I took that class, I had already worked in the land arch field for four years and found the rules this woman gave (forget them now) very annoying, sort of icy cliches being flung about.

Whether I was in a many person firm, in my own small firm, or with a small firm as co owner, over 25 years, none of us wrote like that. Yes, we had lawyers to look at our basic letters and of course our more complicated missives, but you could always tell there was a human behind the typed words. I guess I started out on the "wrong foot". My asian american boss had a lot of asian clients, and they settled the matter with a handshake, followed a little later with your basic one or two page notification re important matters. The handshake was what mattered. Our work performance, yes, and their payments, but there was little to no trouble re that, ever.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 13 May, 2016 02:48 pm
@Sturgis,
Some meetings are easy to sleep through.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 13 May, 2016 03:49 pm
@George,
George wrote:

I just pulled up my zipper.

And we are all grateful.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:02:37