4

How to make a comic about music if there is no sound?

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 08:03 am
Ive had an idea for years for a comic, but I always rejected it because of the difficulty. Its basically is about a group of that fight enemies with the power of song. However, although music will be a big part of it, I worry it wont work well. Music cant be heard through pages after all...so there is no way anyone could tell the music type, the sounds, and the songs.

I feel like if the story is heavily music based, that the reader will feel like they are missing out, and not enjoying the story fully. Does anyone have any ideas on how to...er...make it work better?

Linkat

3  
Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 08:13 am
@frostfire,
You just need to be more clever ---

Use pictures of notes, musical instruments, etc.

A quick search on google images of comic music should give you ideas.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/bb-music.jpg

http://static6.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/40/857834-smurfs.jpg

1  
Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 08:30 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

You just need to be more clever ---

This is a great way to go about that creation of a comic visually depicting music in a visual only medium.

Can you produce the ACTUAL music in question? There's no reason why you can't upload the accompanying music online in MP3 format (that is if you own the copyrights to the music) and let the reader listen to the music while reading the text.

On the other hand, if you are planning on using copyrighted material from third parties you still won't be able to quote large sums of lyrics even into the text of your book if you plan on selling the finished product. You will still need to get legal permission from the copyright owners to do that.
frostfire

1  
Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 08:40 am
@Linkat,
Hm, that isnt a bad idea! It could really help with conveying the idea of music~ <3

frostfire

1  
Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 08:43 am
Well i had been debating between using real music and just letting the reader imagine the sound on their own, going off of the visuals given. I think i may do the latter, since it would be much easier.

ehBeth

2  
Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 09:51 am
@frostfire,
how you present movement visually will/can help people to understand the music/rhythm you want to reflect

I've been working a lot with breaking down music so it can presented visually in the last year as part of my dance study. it's work - but so is much good art

engineer

2  
Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 12:01 pm
@frostfire,
I think the comic can't be about music, the music must support the plot. The protagonist is going to have to channel his hard life as a mild mannered song writer into his work to defeat the villains. His pain at being dumped yet again by the love of his life will have to allow him to come back from the edge of defeat. He'll have to find the music, twist out the lyrics from the very depth of his soul at the last minute to find that extra surge of power that will defeat the Monotone Marionette while at the same time conveying to the reader the depth of his misery and his eternal hope that tomorrow will bring a better day. I don't think you actually have to have an audio track to do that.
frostfire

2  
Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 12:05 pm
@engineer,
Thats what I meant...i didnt literally mean the story was about music...what I was saying is that its a big suporting element. I guess I just worded it wrong.

ehBeth

1  
Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 12:30 pm
@Linkat,
these examples are good as you can tell how different the music would be between the two frames