Medicare supplement /"medigap" coverage outside of US

Fri 6 May, 2016 07:44 am
Hi all...

I currently have a high-deductible Plan F medigap policy. As with all Plan F policies, travel outside the US is covered with an annual $250 deductible, and 80% of eligible expenses are paid up to a lifetime maximum of $50,000. Coverage is provided for the first 60 days of a trip outside the US.

I've been searching for more information on that last item.. the 60-day limitation of coverage. I haven't been able to find out much at all so far. I'm looking to find out...

1.) When does the 60-day clock start? Presumably at the point you leave the US? How is that documented (a receipt for some expenditure in the US just before you leave the country?)

2.) When does the 60-day clock stop (and reset)? Say I travel in Canada for 59 days, and then drive back across the border for the day to do some shopping or visit a doctor in the US and return to Canada that evening. Does this reset the 60-day clock? I'm thinking the best documentation here might be a record of the US doctor visit (which would be processed as any other claim in the US under medicare/medigap).

Anyone have some info or experience with this?

Thanks!

Dan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,054 • Replies: 3
Topic Closed
No top replies

oralloy

Fri 6 May, 2016 07:48 pm

This following link is to what is probably the most informative webpage on the internet when it comes to this subject, and the page still doesn't answer your questions:

http://www.medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance/medigap-and-travel/medigap-and-travel.html

However, at the end of that page there are a couple links to state insurance officials that you can contact for more information.

Your best bet is to ask those state insurance officials.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 6 May, 2016 08:53 pm
@Good Ol Dan,
This might help some: http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/tips-and-advice/choosing-your-plan/senior-travelers-on-medicare/
0 Replies

DarleneAyers

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 11:13 pm
If you are looking for Medicare supplement plans coverage,then move it into part A to B. Some health insurance policies increase the cost after moving other medicare insurance plans.

Choose the right one and read all medicare supplement insurance policy instructions before use it.
0 Replies