fresco

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 11:38 pm
@Wild one ,
Shouldn't that be omnipolar ? Mr. Green
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 04:42 am
@Wild one ,
The Israelites had a system of judges who would hold the equivalent of small claims courts so while an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth is found in the Hebrew scriptures, it was not written about an individuals response to being wronged, it was a basis for which recompense was set by the judges. a measure awarded for a measure lost was the laws structure for justice.

Jesus teachings of forgiveness on the other hand were more specifically about an individual taking an active decision to seek peace and pacify matters when wronged, not to seek vengeance or retaliate to a personal grievance thereby winning aggressors and neutrals over with conduct.
0 Replies

Cinderellie74

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 10:43 am
Well I am still on the fence about a lot of these things... My brother believes that the bible is a history book and was written by man. Man is fallible which means so is the information in the bible. There is no way to really know if there is a GOD or why there are so many differences and discrepancies in the bible. All we can do is wait and see what happens. Maybe GOD is really an alien... Now wouldn't that be an interesting twist. :-) I think I watch too many Sci-Fi things.
TomTomBinks

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 05:18 pm
@Cinderellie74,
Written in to the Bible is the idea that it is the inspired word of God, and therefor infallible. Do you see the circular reasoning? It claims to be it's own proof. As far as it being a history book... it is in a manner of speaking, but it is a collection of stories, some probably true, exaggerations, parables, and superstitions all biased toward the people who wrote it. They were primitive tribesmen with no concept of the scientific method, they didn't consider such things as observation, evidence and experiment. They used their imaginations and prior myths, legends and religions to explain the world around them and to create a power structure to run their society.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 05:45 pm
As an historical record it's pretty much crap, too.
TomTomBinks

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 11:07 pm
@Setanta,
Amen.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 11:17 am
@Setanta,
Give me one example.
0 Replies