Alienation from friends and family

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 08:16 am
Recently came out as agnostic atheist to my conservative christian family. Some of my friends are also CC, and, while they haven't outright said anything, I know that they are NOT comfortable with this.

How do I change this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 998 • Replies: 7

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 08:34 am
@cyniconic,
Why discuss it with them? it's certainly not something I talk about with friends and family. We talk about matters of daily life for the most part - groceries, work, school, exercise routines, pet and childcare, vacation planning.

I actually don't think 99.9% of my friends have any idea of where I stand in terms of belief/lack of belief. It's not something we talk about. If anyone did start talking about religious belief/lack of belief I'd probably change the subject.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 09:10 am
@cyniconic,
A Conservative Christian is as a rule very tied up in their beliefes and you can hardly change nor make them to understand your point of view.
As a rule a discussion about religion can be very interesting and give you a good insight in theology.
Only if the people are open minded, have a certain knowledge and do not condemn anyone. Also knowledge about history is good.
If your family and some of your friends are consercative Christians I would not even hint to them about how you stand. If they are uncomfortable with you it is their problem.
If they start with that old singsong about you are not a good Christian - IGNORE IT.
Or tell them that - in case your are baptized - "As baptized I will always remain Christian - no matter what. If I am good person it is up to others to judge"
cyniconic

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 09:22 am
@saab,
That's pretty solid advice actually, thanks.
0 Replies

echow

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 05:08 am
@cyniconic,
A Conservative Christian is as a rule very tied up in their beliefes and you can hardly change nor make them to understand your point of view.
As a rule a discussion about religion can be very interesting and give you a good insight in theology.
Only if the people are open minded, have a certain knowledge and do not condemn anyone. Also knowledge about history is good.
If your family and some of your friends are consercative Christians I would not even hint to them about how you stand. If they are uncomfortable with you it is their problem.
If they start with that old singsong about you are not a good Christian - IGNORE IT.
Or tell them that - in case your are baptized - "As baptized I will always remain Christian - no matter what. If I am good person it is up to others to judge"

1 Reply
jespah

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 05:33 am
@echow,
Congratulations on learning how to copy and paste.
vikorr

Reply Wed 4 May, 2016 09:15 pm
@jespah,
Echow only has 2 posts here. I'm guessing he/she meant:

+1

Or a thumbs up for the post.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 06:02 am
agnostic atheist

Please explain.
0 Replies