How can a good God allow suffering

Smileyrius

Fri 6 May, 2016 06:08 pm
From my observations here on a2k,
The atheist and the Christian alike, each endeavours to save his brother from the dangers of his belief system.
rosborne979

Fri 6 May, 2016 08:10 pm
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

The atheist and the Christian alike, each endeavours to save his brother from the dangers of his belief system.

You have a relentlessly optimistic view on things. Smile
cicerone imposter

Fri 6 May, 2016 08:42 pm
@rosborne979,
I'd call it "unrealistic." Wink
snood

Fri 6 May, 2016 09:43 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Smileyrius wrote:

You have a relentlessly optimistic view on things. Smile

And an amazing faith in the goodness of human nature...
Leadfoot

Sat 7 May, 2016 07:55 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I'd call it "unrealistic."
Ah, yet another version of "There is no God!".
rosborne979

Sat 7 May, 2016 07:43 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
And an amazing faith in the goodness of human nature...

Yes, I liked her quote quite a bit. She often has a refreshingly subtle and positive outlook on things.
neologist

Sat 7 May, 2016 08:47 pm
@rosborne979,
Him.
racistm3lon

Sat 7 May, 2016 09:19 pm
@SawyerMentink,
I haven't read any of the replies, because it's probably just a bunch of religious argument, but if you're religious and are having doubts about your religions, then you should certainly look into your doubts. Having used to be religious myself, it did nothing but weight me down and make me feel absolutely horrible about myself. Since then, I've accepted that we simply don't know whether there is a god or not, and have become agnostic. Just don't be that guy who preaches his disbelief in a god, and try to be accepting to other people about their religion, as hard as it may be.
rosborne979

Sat 7 May, 2016 09:56 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Him.

Oh. Sorry.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 8 May, 2016 07:15 am
@Leadfoot,
I differ. CI may be an atheist but that statement was clearly evidence based.

Perhaps you should take a break and engage in letting up on those who differ with you. You seem to require that everyone clear a path for your beliefs without any reciprocal roadwork by you.

Leadfoot

Sun 8 May, 2016 10:59 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Perhaps you should take a break and engage in letting up on those who differ with you. You seem to require that everyone clear a path for your beliefs without any reciprocal roadwork by you.
Not accurate at all. If someone engages in a theological discussion I assume they want feedback about their position. I know that is true of me.

I mean, where the hell else can you go for that? Surely not at your local church. If you want to see examples of 'cleared path', that's the place to go.

But just what do you mean by 'reciprocal roadwork'? If you mean support my position from a reasoned or, if called for, biblical argument, then I'm always ready to engage on that level.

If you mean arguments supporting the existence of God, a theological discussion might question that at some point but it generally starts with the assumption that there is a God.

I do take breaks once in a while. I haven't been very active on the 'evolution' threads lately. Interestingly, they don't seem very active unless there is a challenge from a theist.

Lacking that, atheists tend to drift over to the theist threads. I wish they would contribute more than just variations of 'There is no God!" when they do.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 8 May, 2016 01:12 pm
I wish they would contribute more than just variations of 'There is no God!" when they do.

This makes it clean and simple, because, once that is said, no evidence to the contrary ever gets posted.
Leadfoot

Sun 8 May, 2016 03:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
This makes it clean and simple, because, once that is said, no evidence to the contrary ever gets posted.
And there we have Edgar's variation. His is like the dryly delivered - "There is no God, you delusional idiots.".

But he's a little confused about where he is since he doesn't get the part about assuming the existence of God for the sake of argument or because theists already have their evidence. He just can't get into the spirit of the thing.
kristihendricks

Sun 8 May, 2016 05:24 pm
@rosborne979,
Ok so forget my God exists for moment, what evidence do you have that Zeus or one of those gods existed and created the world? Prove me wrong.
edgarblythe

Sun 8 May, 2016 05:29 pm
@Leadfoot,
You see, you are already losing it, putting name calling words in my mouth. Nowhere have I assaulted your character, yet you want to make it so, that you may be offended by me. I merely made note of the fact that if there was a god, nobody has yet presented evidence to prove it. No need to get testy.
Leadfoot

Sun 8 May, 2016 06:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Nowhere have I assaulted your character, yet you want to make it so, that you may be offended by me. I merely made note of the fact that if there was a god, nobody has yet presented evidence to prove it. No need to get testy.
You miss my point Edgar. There is no offense taken.

But by implication, you do question the character of theists. You say (falsely) that no one anywhere has presented any evidence of God, therefore they believe in something that does not exist. This is not the thread for it but I have presented evidence of a creator many times, it just has not been to your satisfaction. Theists would counter that they have been given sufficient evidence to believe. By asserting that they do not have said evidence, you impugn their character.

Again, not that I mind. I myself have at times impugned the character of atheists when they argue against the existence of God without supporting evidence. It's all part of the give and take inherent in discussions between atheists and theists. Offence need not be a part of that.
rosborne979

Sun 8 May, 2016 06:36 pm
@kristihendricks,
kristihendricks wrote:
Ok so forget my God exists for moment, what evidence do you have that Zeus or one of those gods existed and created the world? Prove me wrong.

The point is that there is no evidence for any of them, yours or anyone else's. They are all equally unlikely. And yet, you think yours is different for some reason. Why?
jwagner

Sun 8 May, 2016 07:02 pm
@rosborne979,
Obvious answer? Could you give some examples why it is impossible for there to be a God?
edgarblythe

Sun 8 May, 2016 07:10 pm
@Leadfoot,
Putting aside your attempts to maker me out an insulter of your people, how about giving us a clue what evidence has been presented here? It's not a secret is it?
Setanta

Sun 8 May, 2016 07:14 pm
@jwagner,
I don't see anywhere that Ros has said that it is impossible for there to be a god. Talk about loaded questions.