How can a good God allow suffering

cicerone imposter

Sat 16 Jul, 2016 06:42 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
we will end up debating the meaning of "truth" before too long.

It's gonna be a very long one. Let me go get some chow.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sun 17 Jul, 2016 01:30 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

That's just your read.

So, you think that the Bible is not the literal "word of God," and that most of it was written by men who struggled to know God, but then you rationalize the flood story to reconcile it with the idea of a good and loving god.

Why don't you just ascribe the flood story to those struggling men instead of engaging in mental contortions? Why do you hold on to that story so fiercely?
edgarblythe

Sun 17 Jul, 2016 01:41 pm
If you want to discuss a just and loving god, why not tackle Job.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sun 17 Jul, 2016 06:10 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

So, you think that the Bible is not the literal "word of God," and that most of it was written by men who struggled to know God, but then you rationalize the flood story to reconcile it with the idea of a good and loving god.

I don't know if rationalizing is the right word, but yes, I am looking for reasons a loving God would do those things.

I don't know whether the story itself is literal or allegory but the point in either case would be that God would do anything necessary to preserve the results he wanted.

Quote:
Why don't you just ascribe the flood story to those struggling men instead of engaging in mental contortions? Why do you hold on to that story so fiercely?

That is a possibility but if God wanted the story preserved in the bible it must mean he wanted it in. As I said above, it makes no difference whether the story is literal or allegory. The message is the same either way.

Same thing with the story of Job, Edgar.
cicerone imposter

Sun 17 Jul, 2016 06:14 pm
@Leadfoot,
I love it when people try to rationalize the messages in the bible by
Quote:
I don't know whether the story itself is literal or allegory.

All the stories in the bible are allegory. THE END.
Leadfoot

Sun 17 Jul, 2016 06:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

I love it when people try to rationalize the messages in the bible by
Quote:
I don't know whether the story itself is literal or allegory.

All the stories in the bible are allegory. THE END.

You miss my point entirely CI.

I'm not letting the story or God off the hook by rationalizing it as possibly allegory. I'm saying it should be judged as true. I see nothing in the story that could be explained by prejudice. If it is merely a story that Moses imagined in a fever, manufactured from how he perceived God from his experiences, then I hold God responsible for the principles expressed in the story. If you can't control the contents of a book, then you aren't much of a god then are ya.

0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Mon 18 Jul, 2016 10:53 am
@SawyerMentink,
Many a good, even excellent, parent allows suffering. The real suffering is to be lenient and let the one we are responsible for go in ease to their horrible destruction.
0 Replies

sat

Sun 18 Sep, 2016 10:37 am
@SawyerMentink,
God here is an assumtion of sum total of living and non living things around a person also considering his vision and imagination. if you are acting against your surroundings and imagination , there will be physical and mental conflict and we suffer. GOD is an imaginary sum total of our surroungs and punishes and reward s us in response to difference of our expected actions and actual actions.
trichakra

Tue 27 Sep, 2016 11:15 pm
@DannyR634,
Are you Atheist?
0 Replies

onevoice

Mon 3 Oct, 2016 08:02 am
@sat,
Quote:
GOD is an imaginary sum total of our surroungs and punishes and reward s us in response to difference of our expected actions and actual actions.

If God is an imaginary sum total of our surroundings, how exactly does He punish or reward anything? I would suppose rewards and punishments would then be imaginary as well?
Krumple

Mon 3 Oct, 2016 01:35 pm
@onevoice,
onevoice wrote:

Quote:
GOD is an imaginary sum total of our surroungs and punishes and reward s us in response to difference of our expected actions and actual actions.

If God is an imaginary sum total of our surroundings, how exactly does He punish or reward anything? I would suppose rewards and punishments would then be imaginary as well?

Indeed they are imaginary.
cicerone imposter

Mon 3 Oct, 2016 01:46 pm
@Krumple,
Imagination is powerful.
0 Replies

onevoice

Mon 3 Oct, 2016 03:27 pm
@Krumple,
Good good. Smile Now, tell me where they come from then? Because actions do have real rewards and consequences.
Leadfoot

Mon 3 Oct, 2016 03:36 pm
@onevoice,
Let me see if I can guess krumple's answer.

Those rewards and punishments are all coincidences. Unless you beat your head on the wall, that's just 'God the universe' punishing you.

It's like everything else, love, compassion, etc. it's all your imagination.

How'd I do krump?
edgarblythe

Mon 3 Oct, 2016 04:23 pm
This good god business is a bunch of ****. While some of us live lives of comparative ease, others were born into a hellish existence, not of their making, and they suffer until they are dead. There is no such thing as a good or even a just god.
cicerone imposter

Mon 3 Oct, 2016 04:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why can't people see that the world flood was anything but deviant.
0 Replies

CrisTianUk

Mon 3 Oct, 2016 04:49 pm
@snood,
God is Eternal
0 Replies

CrisTianUk

Mon 3 Oct, 2016 04:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
showing few naked starving kids on the street does not mean God does not exist.
cicerone imposter

Mon 3 Oct, 2016 05:08 pm
@CrisTianUk,
It's not about naked kids. It's about killing everybody by a flood except for Noah's family. That's what is called "over kill." You don't penalize everybody for the sins of a few, especially children.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 3 Oct, 2016 05:12 pm
@CrisTianUk,
CrisTianUk wrote:

showing few naked starving kids on the street does not mean God does not exist.

If one possibly could exist it would not be a good god. If you read my statement correctly that is what I said. I did not tell you you were not allowed to believe one exists.
0 Replies