Should I use the slang?

Reply Mon 2 May, 2016 03:13 am
I read it in an article "How dare you say 'ain't' to me! I've taught you better than that." Is ' ain't ' not good to use in daily life? But I usually hear ' ain't ' in TV Show.
And about the slang,one of my teachers said that it was rude to say the slang so we don't need to learn it.What do you think of the slang?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,835 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 May, 2016 03:41 am
@Abby1213,
I wouldn't say it is rude to use, but it certainly doesn't mark you as being well educated. Avoid it, but tolerate it in others.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 2 May, 2016 06:33 am
Yes, you should be aware of slang and idioms. Depending on your age, you might use them, too.

Many of the problems ESL students face is their confusion when slang or idioms are used by others.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2018 04:46 pm
@roger,
Quote:
but it certainly doesn't mark you as being well educated

Pure piffle, Roger. All informal English is available to all speakers. If you were actually educated you would know more of the history of ain't.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2018 05:08 pm
@roger,
Here's something I didn't know, Roger. Did you?

Quote:
The usage of ain't in the southern United States is distinctive, however, in the continued usage of the word by well-educated, cultivated speakers.[48] Ain't is in common usage of educated Southerners.[49] In the South, the use of ain't can be used as a marker to separate cultured speakers from those who lack confidence in their social standing and thus avoid its use entirely.[50]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ain%27t

Just think of how much erroneous material there is here at A2K from folks like you who operate on the premise of "Able2Mislead".
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2018 08:28 pm
Perhaps they're contrarians who revel in making minuscule errors.

0 Replies

bunnyhabit

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2018 08:32 pm
slang is rude and confusing to me
0 Replies