My friend keeps on pestering me about my camera, what should I do

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 04:21 pm
So I run a youtube channel and I have a friend who keeps on pestering me about me using a casio camera from 2010 that films in 480p. I use quicktime pro to upconvert my videos to 720HD and my friend thinks that isn't good enough. He wants me to upgrade to a sony handycam that films in 1080 HD. The only thing is that I love my camera and I don't want to give it up. I want to continue using it. He has been driving me crazy about this for the past couple of months and it's gotten to the point where I can't take it anymore. He says I will never be successful if I continue to use my casio camera. What should I do ? Should I stop being friends with him ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,531 • Replies: 13
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 04:35 pm
@peachstate29,
He may or may not be right about the camera but he sucks as a pal. Telling you once or twice you are missing something with your camera is fine, but it is basically not his business. I would suggest standing up for yourself.

On whether he is correct, we have some photography buffs here, and it may take them a while to see this thread, so don't give up if there aren't fast responses.

I'm a photography enthusiast but no long camera smart.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 04:39 pm
@peachstate29,
Why on earth would this be a reason for stopping a friendship? Just tell him that you get a kick out of using your casio, and that this is perhaps as important to you as the success of your youtube channel.

If he argues against your position, interrupt him gently, and say that using the casio is very important to you.

If he still argues, again interrupt him gently, but more firmly, and tell him that he is not listenning - using the casio is very important to you - you find it one of your joys in life.

It doesn't have to be those exact words - but the principle is standing up for what makes you happy.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 06:05 pm
I really don't want to talk about this anymore.

Repeat as necessary.
vikorr

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 06:52 pm
@chai2,
The result of that type of conversation is usually that the other person thinks you are very unreasonable, uncommunicative, hard headed, and frustrating.

It'll work, but it'll create resentment - so I guess using this tactic would depend on how important open communication in the friendship is to a person.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 07:05 pm
@peachstate29,
Is he going to buy you a new camera? if not, it's not his business.

How does he even know what you're using?
chai2

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 07:21 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

The result of that type of conversation is usually that the other person thinks you are very unreasonable, uncommunicative, hard headed, and frustrating.

It'll work, but it'll create resentment - so I guess using this tactic would depend on how important open communication in the friendship is to a person.

Your right. I guess it's better for the OP to put up with a friend who is unreasonable, not listening, hard headed, and frustrating.

What was I thinking?

I mean, it's not like the OP has made any attempt to communicate to the friend that he really likes his camera, and wants to keep using it, right?
chai2

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 07:22 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Is he going to buy you a new camera? if not, it's not his business.

How does he even know what you're using?

I looked up the price of one of these cameras.

I would be tempted to say "you know, my birthdays coming up"
0 Replies

peachstate29

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 10:33 pm
@chai2,
I have made countless attemps to tell this friend of mine to knock it off but he just won't stop. It's just so frustrating because I want to use the camera that I really like but he just keeps on pestering me about this
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 10:38 pm
@chai2,
Chai2 wrote:
Your right. I guess it's better for the OP to put up with a friend who is unreasonable, not listening, hard headed, and frustrating.
No it's not.
vikorr wrote:
It doesn't have to be those exact words - but the principle is standing up for what makes you happy.

Both suggestions aimed for the same end goal - standing up for what makes him happy.

One method showed respect to both parties, the other method does not. One method wouldn't create resentment, the other is likely to create resentment (qualified).

I was suggesting not using the method that is likely to create resentment.
0 Replies

peachstate29

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 10:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Well he knows what I am using because he has been to my house and saw what I use. He's always claiming I am trying to help you build your channel but it's more like he's trying to control me. I mean I told him to stop it so many times but he just won't stop pestering me about it. It drives me insane because I feel like I can't use what I love using. I really don't care if my camera is out of date i think its better than any of today's cameras.
vikorr

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 10:55 pm
@peachstate29,
Some suggestions:

Be respectful but very direct eg. 'this is my decision, and I'm using the camera I enjoy using'

If he tries to divert it to a 'you should AAAA because of BBBB', then you again be very direct, reverting to your previous statement 'as I've said, it's my decision, and I'm using the camera I enjoy using."

ie. you back up your original statement, with a similar statement

If it keeps on, the conversation starts becoming about the ongoing conversation: eg "We've had this conversation before. I've told you that this is my decision, and I use the casio because I enjoy it."

If it goes on yet still, you repeat, and add "Please respect my decision"

The further it goes on, the more it becomes about the ongoing conversation eg. "we keep having this same conversation. I've told you I've made my decision. Please respect my decision"

If it goes on "This is becoming frustrating. I've told you numerous times I've made my decision. Please respect my decision"

As you can see...the longer it goes on...the more you reinforce your decision, and the more the conversation becomes about:
- him ignoring your decisions
- then disrespecting your decisions (constant ignoring is disrespectful)
- then about the repercussions (it becomes frustrating and a wedge in the friendship)

That structure can be used for conversation about any ongoing negative behaviour .

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 2 May, 2016 05:30 am
@peachstate29,
You never state what the videos are for? If it is just for fun to put on YouTube, then your orig videocam is quite acceptable.

However, if it is for professional purposes, perhaps an upgrade is in order.
Youtube videos that are in 480 HD resolution can be a bit fuzzy and might turn off potential viewer/buyers of product.

Be aware that when you state the following, you are incorrect:
Quote:
I really don't care if my camera is out of date i think its better than any of today's cameras.

You may not care that your camera is the most modern, but at 480P, the camera is not better than other of today's cameras. It's just something that you're used to using and don't want to switch or be bullied into making a purchase.

Being friends with someone you find to be a pest is your choice; however, being bullied or pestered requires you to be assertive and consistent with your telling this person to mind his own business and stop trying to get you to spend your money on unwanted upgrades.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 2 May, 2016 06:22 am
Most likely, he wants you to upgrade so then he can borrow it.

Learn to stop this teasing.
0 Replies