The Pro Hillary Thread

Blickers

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 09:15 pm
@reasoning logic,
The US Congress is not Hillary's house. It is a committee and chamber where Republicans dominate, and Republicans hate Hillary's guts. So when even the Republicans on the committee can't find anything substantial against her, she stands even more vindicated.
0 Replies

engineer

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 07:48 am
Very interesting article about Clinton and LGBT rights while she was at the State Department.

Quote:
When Clinton started as Secretary of State, in January of 2009, she inherited a department that LGBT staffers had seen as indifferent to their rights during the George W. Bush administration. They grumbled that the department would pay for their pets, but not their partners, to travel to posts around the world. Clinton, on the other hand, signaled immediately her commitment to LGBT issues, setting up meetings—personally or with top staff—with advocacy groups like the Council for Global Equality, the National Center for Transgender Equality and the Human Rights Campaign, as well as the in-house organization called Gays and Lesbians in Foreign Affairs Agencies. They had long lists of pent-up requests. The Clinton State Department addressed them.

“We were always getting a yes,” Jon Tollefson, a GLIFFA president during Clinton’s tenure, told me, “so we just kept going.”

To LGBT people and advocates, within the State Department and around the country, what Clinton was doing wasn’t a total surprise. The extent of her commitment, though, was a revelation.

In May of 2009, four months after Clinton took over at the State Department, Kerry Eleveld, a reporter for The Advocate, the LGBT newspaper, got a copy of a draft of a letter Clinton had written that was to be sent to GLIFAA employees. “Historically, domestic partners of Foreign Service members have not been provided the same training, benefits, allowances, and protections that other family members receive,” the document said. “These inequities are unfair and must end. … [T]he Department will provide these benefits for both opposite-sex and same-sex domestic partners because it is the right thing to do.”

“She fixed that as soon as she could,” said Michael Guest, a gay career foreign service officer who in 2007 had quit to protest the situation at the State Department in the Bush administration. Obama then put him on the department’s transition team. “It was, like, the first thing she did, so I gained a lot of respect for her.”

Clinton also was the first Secretary of State to give a speech at the State Department’s annual event marking gay pride month. And in 2011, in Geneva, in remarks for International Human Rights Day, and to an audience that included diplomats from countries in Africa and the Middle East with retrograde LGBT rights records, she said, “Some have suggested that gay rights and human rights are separate and distinct; but, in fact, they are one and the same.”

Judging from back-and-forth in the released emails, Clinton kept up with news of gay rights abuses and violence against LGBT people around the world as well as states and nations moving forward on marriage equality. She even taped an “It Gets Better” video.

But nothing Clinton did on this front was more ahead of its time than the transgender passport policy.

“We had never, and I mean never, had the federal government do a pro-trans policy before,” said Keisling from the national transgender group.

Passports with appropriate gender markers allowed transgender people to travel more safely abroad. But they had a big impact domestically, too: Passports are a legal form of identification everywhere in the U.S., so a new passport rule would enable them to get their ID re-issued even if they lived in red states with conservative legislatures and restrictive driver’s license regulations. It also would have considerable symbolic value: “It says, ‘This proves who I am,’ and it has the seal of the United States on it,” said Rick Garcia, the founder of Equality Illinois and a longtime LGBT activist.

snood

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 08:08 am
@engineer,
Thanks, Eng. Reasonable people can see the good that Hillary has done.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 08:14 am
http://www.cnn.com

Is anyone in the Democrat party not corrupt? Does anyone NOT use "incredibly bad judgment."

These are the crooks at the top of the heap. Above the law.

parados

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 08:46 am
@Lash,
So much for you being a liberal and a Democrat, eh Lash? It seems you have decided to forgo all pretense at this point and simply "LASH" out an anyone and everyone.
revelette2

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 08:47 am
@Lash,
Actually Lynch did the best thing to show there is no favoritism when the FBI announces whether they believe Hillary Clinton should be indicted or not. Since republicans made such a huge stink over the accidental meeting, it was the best thing Lynch to do to say she will go with whatever decision the FBI and the career agents from the Attorney Generals office decide to do. This way if there no indictment, those who cry favoritism will not have a legitimate leg to stand on.
DrewDad

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 12:12 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Is anyone in the Democrat party not corrupt? Does anyone NOT use "incredibly bad judgment."

Last I knew, Bernie Sanders was running for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination.

Guess he's part of the precipitate, not part of the solution.
snood

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 12:19 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Lash wrote:

Last I knew, Bernie Sanders was running for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination.

Guess he's part of the precipitate, not part of the solution.

LOL. Yeah, I was gonna say - Bernie has just GOT to be an exception!
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 04:05 pm
@parados,
I'm not a Democrat. That is some stupid apologetic allegiance to a political party above all else.

I'm progressive.

What are you?
Below viewing threshold (view)
Lash

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 04:11 pm
@DrewDad,
Yes. He is precipitating a **** storm currently on the corrupt Democrat ecosystem.
0 Replies

parados

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 10:01 am
@Lash,
You are not progressive, Lash. You are regressive.

You are clearly not progressive when it comes to politics.

I doubt you can name more than one "progressive" candidate that you have supported in the last 20 years either by donating money or volunteering for their campaign.

Progressive means you are willing to actually work at it. And it does take work. You have to be willing to compromise to get 30% or 50% rather than nothing. Being a progressive doesn't mean you throw a tantrum and name call because your candidate lost. It means you work to get the next best candidate elected.
Lash

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 02:37 pm
@parados,
You're such a doofus. How long I've supported progressive values or candidates isn't an issue at all...as you well know.

It's which values and policies I support.

The same standard that tips us off about Hillary's continuing conservatism. Of course, she's worse than me about socially liberal issues if you apply the "hey. it's HOW LONG" standard.

Hell, I'm more progressive than she is by any standard.

Probably, you too. LOL!! Oh you make me laugh.

parados

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 09:33 pm
@Lash,
Since you have not ever actually been a progressive nor supported progressive causes, you certainly don't have the standing to decide who is and isn't a progressive. You are "johnny come lately" that thinks they are Mr Know It All when in reality you know very little.
glitterbag

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 09:42 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I know you're uneducated, but you're not that dumb. Don't try to sell that ****.

How lovely, are you educated? It doesn't seem so, you seem more like, uh, uh, well you just don't appear to be an educated woman. But really dear, it's alright, we all take your limitations into consideration before we post anything that might confuse you. I want you to feel safe.
glitterbag

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 09:45 pm
@parados,
Isn't she a hoot? Kind of a cautionary tale, not the kind of gal you want your son to bring home. I'm sure she does the best she can with what she knows, bless her heart.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 10:02 pm
@parados,
You just don't know enough to make any claims.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 10:04 pm
@glitterbag,
What's your academic pedigree?
snood

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 10:23 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

What's your academic pedigree?

She's educated enough not to go on a web forum full of lifelong progressives and insult them all by trying to act like she's the only "real" progressive.
Lash

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 11:30 pm
@snood,
Because she's a conservative, like you and the rest of your lame-ass, no-spelling posse.

Do you allow them to answer for themselves?