My dad isn't faithful to my mum, what do I do?

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 05:56 am
My mum and dad separated last year for 6 months before getting back together, on Christmas Eve while wrapping presents I couldn't find my phone, I went in to ask my dad to ring my phone but he was asleep so I lifted his phone and there was a message from a women saying "I love you so much good night" I approached him on Christmas morning about it and he went mad at me and got angry about looking at his phone, I was upset and figured out that this has been going on a lot longer than since my mum and dad separated also this women I know she kept buying me stuff last year I thought she was just being nice but I guess she had another motive
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,084 • Replies: 6
No top replies

liuaolin

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 06:18 am
If you find that there are something wrong between your father and mother, firstly, what you need do was not to blame only your dad or mom. Instead, you should try to chat with them and just understand their choice if they chose to divorce.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 06:22 am
@Kiraz123,
I don't know how old you are, I am going to assume that you are a teenager in high school (although my basic point would be the same anyway). My parents divorced when I was in high school, and I am myself divorced.

Divorce sucks for kids. I am sorry about this.

My advice is that you do nothing. Your parents are responsible for their marriage. Your parents are responsible for whatever is happening between them. You shouldn't be in the middle of this. It is not your place, or your responsibility, to be getting between your mom or dad or to judge either one of them. If you tell your mom what your dad is doing, you are putting yourself right in the middle of their screwed up marriage. That isn't fair to you.

If you are angry with your dad (which you have every right to be) you can tell him clearly that you want nothing to do with this woman. You might even talk to him and tell him that you are upset. This is fair.

But your dad is correct in one sense. You have no right to be looking at his phone. Anything you saw on his phone is not your business. You shouldn't be in the position of judging your parents.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 06:34 am
@Kiraz123,
One more piece of advice. When I was a kid, I went to a therapist to talk about issues surrounding my parent's divorce.

This was very helpful because it was an adult that I could talk to who wasn't part of the mess that was happening in my family. The therapist can talk specifically about the feelings and can offer solutions and support for how to take care of your self (since none of this is your fault). Your therapist can also talk to your parents, in a professional way, about how they can be better parents as they are going through the process of dealing with their own issues.

My daughter has a therapist since her mom and I went through the process of divorce. This is helpful to her for the same reasons.

I would recommend that you ask your parents to get a therapist for you. Or, there may be resources in school for getting a counselor to talk to.

Kiraz123

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 12:47 pm
@maxdancona,
No I'm 22 and finishing university next month, my plan is to move away from home as in moving country but now I'm worried that my mum will be left alone.. I didn't look through the phone it was on the home screen when I had tried to ring my phone.. I had thoughts of telling my mum but you are right it's none of my business and not my place to say. Thanks
maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 12:53 pm
@Kiraz123,
Good. That makes it a lot easier that you are not a teenager.

My advice remains the same. Stay out of it. Hopefully you can maintain a relationship with both your mom and your dad on your own terms. As you get older, your relationship with your parents will change. In ten or twenty years the divorce won't be so important... your relationships with each of your parents may be important.

Best of luck.
0 Replies

sherry1997

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 04:08 am
Calm down, my friend. It's the question of love between your mum and your dad. You should be confident that your mum will deal with this problem well. Please give your mum room. At last,do not be disappointed with love,you will have a happy life in the future.
0 Replies