about PERSUATION

Shuken

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 02:25 am
How about Anne Russel in the end of the story?

boxianzhang

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 02:54 am
@Shuken,
At last ,she get married with Captain Wentworth
Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 02:57 am
The main protagonist of the novel Persuasion, by Jane Austen, is Anne Elliot. Is that who you are asking about?
Shuken

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 03:01 am
@Setanta,
Yes,it's she.
0 Replies

Shuken

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 03:02 am
@boxianzhang,
Thank you,you do me a favor.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 03:26 am
At the beginning ot the novel, we are introduced to the main characters, and that includes Captain Wentworth, then an impecunious officer in the Royal Navy, with no fortune and no influence (interest is the word used in those days) to suggest that he would acquire a fortune. Anne is just 19, and her foolish father and her older sister are opposed to her marrying Wentworth. Her father has mismanaged what was already a small estate, and he cannot provide a marriage portion (i.e., the money to set a couple up in life) for both the older daughter and Anne. Anne, therefore, breaks off the engagement, which in the terms of the day and the "marriage market" was the sensible thing to do. Wentworth is resentful, and Anne despairs of her future prospects.

At the end of the novel, Wentworth has acquired a fortune in prize money. Naval officers who are successful in battle can claim that captured enemy ships are prizes, and be paid quite substantial sums for them. He encounters Anne, but is still resentful that she rejected his suit seven or eight years earlier. However, he overhears Anne discussing the constancy of men and women in love, and her declaration that women do not change their feelings for a man, even if they cannot have the man they want. Therefore, Wentworth lets go of his resentment, and asks Anne to marry him. Now that he has acquired a fortune in prize money, her father and older sister no longer have grounds to object to his suit, and they are married.

I will try to answer any other questions you have about the novel. For the upper and middle classes in England at that time, marriage was a business transaction, and this is a theme of Jane Austen's novels.
Shuken

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 03:51 am
@Setanta,
It's so claer,and mow I almost know all of the story.Thank you very much for such a detail answer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 04:09 am
You're welcome.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » about PERSUATION
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:14:35