Windows Professional is 10 better than 7?

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 12:59 pm
I'm about to upgrade to Windows Office Professional. So far my experience with home versions is that 7 is better than 10. Has anyone used both? What about Ultimate?

View best answer, chosen by neologist
Tes yeux noirs

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 01:06 pm
Not sure what you are talking about: Microsoft Windows (which has versions 7 and 10) or Microsoft Office (which doesn't).

I'll assume you are asking about Windows (the operating system). A lot depends on what kind of hardware you are running on, but most PCs made in the last 7 years or so should run Windows 10 OK (I have a 2009 Dell laptop that is running Windows 10 Professional just fine.) I also have a 6 month old desktop PC that came with Windows 7 (Pro) and I took the free upgrade to Windows 10 (Pro) and I would never go back.

To ask which version of Windows is "better" is just going to get you a lot of opinions, rather than facts. I would say that Windows 10 is better than 7 because it is 6 years newer, and has better security.

Tes yeux noirs

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 02:02 pm
Windows 10 makes Windows 7 look clunky, just like W7 made XP look clunky.
0 Replies

Ragman

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 04:00 pm
@neologist,
I'm unclear as to what you're asking. Are you asking if Win 10 works better than Win 7 or are you asking if MS Office works better with Win 10 vs Win 7?
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 12:13 am
OK, now you're making me think. . . .
0 Replies

Robert Gentel
  Selected Answer

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 01:03 am
@neologist,
This question is confusing but perhaps it is because Windows editions are confusing. See here: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10s-seven-editions-are-excessive-see-which-two-id-cut/

But ultimately if you don't like Windows 10 home you won't like Windows 10 Pro, it will be almost indistinguishable to you from Windows 10 home and if you prefer Windows 7 to Windows 10 home then you will also prefer it to the pro version, as the UI is the main reason you likely don't like it and the home and pro versions have the same UI.

As for whether 7 is better than 10 I prefer the UI but recently switched my Windows virtual machines to version 10, as it can run all that Windows 7 can run (except old outdated browsers etc) and can also run newer software and will be supported longer.

But if you don't like the UI the pro version is not gonna help that. My personal preference is for OSX, and I have MS Office there and virtual windows machines if needed.
neologist

Wed 27 Apr, 2016 06:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks.
I have certainly been confused.
0 Replies

ulinka

Tue 31 May, 2016 06:18 am
@neologist,
I am using just a few weeks windows 10, I have issue with installing google chrome, it will not let me, have no clue why is that?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 31 May, 2016 07:54 am
I generally liked W10 in my new laptop so I thought I'd go ahead and take the free upgrade from W7 in my desktop. I later found that vital parts of a program that I use for developing digital hardware (Microchip development system) does not work on 10!

Serious problem since my business depends on it. I had to dig up an old PC with XP to do my work on. Damn you Microsoft, Grrr....
carpetsindubai

Tue 31 May, 2016 10:18 am
Well both are good but windows 10 is making it's mark against windows 7.
0 Replies

vwebdevelopment

Wed 10 Aug, 2016 06:35 am
@neologist,
Yes of course. Windows 10 have a pretty and nice user interface rather than window officer 7.
Its true that window 7 is more user friendly because we use past many years a long. but office 10 is also a good choice .
0 Replies

LisaPearson

Thu 29 Sep, 2016 11:23 pm
I think W-10 is better
0 Replies

shaun908

Thu 20 Oct, 2016 08:35 am
@neologist,
Windows 10 makes your PC or laptop very slow. Even if you have i7 processor. They makes your laptop hang and are not user friendly like windows 7
0 Replies

Candlelight8

Thu 20 Oct, 2016 11:32 am
@neologist,
Windows 10 looks better but is more difficult to use and gives you less user choice. If you can afford to get 10 professional which allows you to shut down onedrive and gives back a little more control. Also windows 10 seems to be regularly making decisions for the user that I would prefer it not. I have been having "virtual function call" problems since downloading 10. I only upgraded because I felt windows 7 would eventually not be supported. Cortana makes me sick. Microsoft Edge makes me sick. Microsoft has legally become the "hacker". I certainly would like things to be different but it's not yet my call. Candlelight8
0 Replies

Michael678

Mon 24 Oct, 2016 06:27 am
@neologist,
Windows 7 is better than 10 because it is more user friendly and moreover windows 10 are very slow.
0 Replies

PaulAdam0

Fri 11 Nov, 2016 11:29 pm
There is no much difference between two. You can go with windows 7 too.
0 Replies

MikkaBarsotti

Tue 29 Nov, 2016 10:35 pm
@Leadfoot,
Ahh sounds like a pain... Just FYI You can Go back to the origin OS very simply Vs using a XP machine It's in Rec Mode they added a few new options on windows 10 UI. I can't imagine that XP would have great or even preferably tolerable CPU power unless it was modified. Although definitely a good thing about using XP is Network security is absolutely amazing on working XP machines these days.
0 Replies

pnpinfotech

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 12:49 am
On Windows 7 you’ll be used to clicking the Start Button and searching for content on your PC that way.While On Windows 10, it’s all about Cortana – Microsoft’s digital assistant which began life on Windows Phone.
0 Replies

brettlee1

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 04:33 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Yes. Way better,

1. You get a brand new, bloat-free browser (Microsoft Edge) that is much better than Internet Explorer.
2. Cortana: The search master. Set reminders, meetings, open an app simply by telling a name, check weather and What’s more, there’s a setting to have Cortana always listening and waiting for your commands and searches without a button push.
0 Replies

scottberry21

Thu 13 Apr, 2017 07:59 am
7 is best #noristrictions
0 Replies