What are your top three sci-fis?

Amoh5

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 07:41 am
Sci-fis can be a good escape or time-out from the ugly and harsh primitive realities of today's world. Here are my top three favourites that I can think of at the moment.
1. Star Trek: Original And The Other Generations
Excellent actors, main characters humanitarian and intelligent, excellent military and scientific dialogue, excellent technology concepts, though sometimes too many childish creatures and muppets...
2. Terminator: 2, 3, 4
Excellent actors, a lot of action plus, excellent technology concepts, entertaining story-line, good to see no childish creatures and muppets
3. Star Wars:
Excellent actors, excellent technology concepts, interesting human main characters, some good action, though too many childish creatures and muppets...

rosborne979

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 01:17 pm
@Amoh5,
1. The Terminator
2. Alien
3. The Matrix

Each of those were groundbreaking in their own way and are still affecting the genre and being imitated to this day.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 01:29 pm
@rosborne979,
That's a great list, dunno if I can top it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 03:18 pm
@Amoh5,
In no particular order:

Farscape
Star Trek
Alien, Aliens, Prometheus

Of course none of these or any others that will be mentioned will represent ground breaking sci-fi. Ground breaking TV or Film perhaps, but not sci-fi.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 04:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Are you implying that books are better?
Lash

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 04:30 pm
I want to play fair, but my genres were blending, so I looked at lists that are considered sci-fi.

I mean, I'd normally define sci-fi as futuristic films with future-y gadgets, but my most beloved just seem like post-apocalyptic or normy future without zapping gadgets.

I like the one and only gadget in
1. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," and loved
2. "Clockwork Orange." (wasn't that supposed to be futuristic?) Also, attracted to
3. "Children of Men.."
Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 04:42 pm
The "science" aspect of this film is crap, and having been made in 1972, it's really dated in terms of sfx. But it's a hell of a good story.

0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 08:32 pm
@rosborne979,
Terminator:
Great choice
Alien:
The monster seemed more advanced than the futuristic technology.
The Matrix
I found the technology concept a little bit boring like the Total recall movie's mind machine.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 08:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Farscape:
I've never seen that one, better look it up
Star Trek:
A great classic
Alien:
The monster seems more advanced the technology. Great action though
Aliens, Aliens:
Haven't seen that one, must look it up
Prometheus:
Interesting story-line, unusual technology concepts. I liked the ending where she says "In the year of our Lord... Yes, I'm sorry to mention my Christian sentiments... It was very hard to resist, sorry
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 09:01 pm
@Lash,
I suppose Sci-fis can contain other technological advancements such as special powers of the mind or body I guess?
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind:
Never seen that one, sounds interesting though. Must look it up
Clockwork Orange:
Unusual name, never seen that one. Must look it up
Children Of Men:
Sounds interesting, never seen it though. Must look it up
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 09:24 pm

The current show, Orphan Black, definitely makes my top three list. It is an amazing show with a good fun story and great acting. Star Trek (as a franchise) would take a spot.

It is difficult to choose from many great possibilities for my third entry. I suppose I will choose Star Wars.
Real Music

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 09:50 pm
@Amoh5,
My top 3 Sci-Fi television shows:
1. Z Nation
2. Stargate SG1
3. Doctor Who (Only the episodes starting in 2005 all the way to the present)

My top 3 Sci-Fi movies:
1. 2012
2. The Matrix
3. Independence Day
Amoh5

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:45 pm
@maxdancona,
Orphan Black:
Never seen it, sounds interesting though. I like a lot of action, talking ones make me bored. Must look it up
Star Trek:
A great classic, though the childish creatures and muppets spoilt it a little.
Star:
Great Classic, though too many childish creatures and muppets
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 11:33 pm
@Real Music,
Z Nation:
I'm not a fan of zombie movies, a lot of action in it though
Stargate-SG1
Unusual technology concepts, awesome graphics and action, I like Macgyver in it though
Dr Who:
A great classic. I'm more familiar with the old one though, especially the daleks they had hilarious evil voice effects. Though I do like watching the later and current ones, very British
2012:
Awesome special effects and crazy storyline, lot of action though
The Matrix:
Unusual technology concept, a bit abstract for me though, too much ballerina martial arts
Independence Day:
A little too childish for me, but great special effects and actors
Real Music

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 12:24 am
@Amoh5,
Z Nation is not a movie. Z Nation is a television series about zombies. I think you might have mistaken that for World War Z which is a zombie movie. Z Nation has outstanding story lines that ties everything together. How the characters are introduced and develop are compelling and with alot of depth. Z Nation also incorporates serious drama with just a touch of comedy. I can't wait until the new season to start.

You are probably right about Independence day being a little childish, but it was still fun watching it. I too enjoyed most of the Terminator movies, but not the 4th and 5th one. Terminator 1, 2, and 3 were all good movies, Terminator 4 was not that good. Terminator 5 was the worst one.

I like all of the Star Trek television series. I believed that Star Trek Deep Space Nine was the best. Deep Space Nine had the best story lines and the best character development. Also it had the best action when the plots started focusing on the Founders, the Jem Hadar, and the Dominion. Deep Space Nine also had a religious undertone throughout the entire series that enriched the story lines. The Next Generation was my second favorite Star Trek show. The original Star Trek was my third favorite Star Trek show. Voyager was my fourth favorite Star Trek show. Enterprise was my least favorite Star trek show.

The quality of the action, the quality of the story lines, and the quality of the character development are all crucial to making a good sci-fi movie or television show
Real Music

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 12:39 am
@Real Music,
I almost forgot in my original list. I must have had a brain fart. One of my alltime Sci-Fi television series was a show called Revolution. It aired on television from 2012-2014. The ingenious complexity of the show kept me wanting more.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 01:48 am
@Real Music,
I've never seen Revolution but I saw the trailer. The blackout scenario where these guys want to get rid of the people posing to be the government. Interesting, maybe our public tv here in NZ will broadcast it sometime.
Z Nation, sorry it was just an expression towards Zombie flicks, but I did watch the trailer of Z Nation on Youtube which had a lot zombies and action to keep the audience on edge of their seats. You know the worst thing I hate is when the advertisements come on. If I had a shotgun next to me I'd blast the TV to bits. Thats the frustration with public TV anyway, the damn Ads. A touch of comedy in a sci-fi does allow the characters to expose their more human sides.
Independence Day, yeah I think I prefer more serious and grown up type of sci-fis, and a lot of action of course. Will Smith's acting was great though
You know the sci-fi movie "Oblivion" thats the best movie I have seen Tom Cruise act in. Most of his movies hes just playing with the girls, not an action man trait in my books anyway.
Terminator does lack quality after the third episode. No new technological ideas and stuff. I like Arnold acting, hes perfect for his character.
Deep space Nine was a bit too stagnant for me because they just lived on a space station. They also got to talky and emotional, I like a lot of action. I preferred them traveling through space on their starships. I really liked Voyager, great acting and actors, some interesting stoy-lines.
But I think it is more a personal preference to what one likes in sci-fis, our own personalities, predjudicies and aspirations. A great way to escape the pains of todays world though, put your feet up, relax and enjoy...
izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 03:36 am
1 Doctor Who. I watched it since I was a kid, grew up on Patrick troughton's Doctor.
2 Blade Runner. Superb piece of Sci Fi, and the only Philip K Dick adaptation that's lived up to the book.
3 Red Dwarf. Who says sci fi can't be funny.

Olivier5

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 03:48 am
1. Blade Runner
2. The original Star Wars trilogy
3. Alien 1
Olivier5

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 03:53 am
@Olivier5,
I also loved dozens of other scifi movies. The Matrix and Terminator were abondantly mentionned already. More recently, "Moon" or "Interstellar" were pretty good.
0 Replies