Who do you want to win the NBA finals this year?

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 12:27 pm

the thing that's very impressive about the warriors 73 wins is they are the defending champs, so everyone was gunning for them this year...
sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 12:43 pm
@Region Philbis,
True, true.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 12:53 pm
@sozobe,
Wow! Welcome back, sozobe.
You have been missed.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 01:00 pm
@sozobe,
Yeah, that's right! Good to see you Sozobe.
sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 01:24 pm
@snood,
Good to see you too! And you realjohnboy!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 01:27 pm
@Region Philbis,
I might be biased and too salty about them breaking the record but it seems like tanking is at an all-time high this year in the NBA and they've been fortunate that teams like Houston inexplicably fell apart this year.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 04:27 pm

bad news for golden state --

curry out for two weeks with MCL sprain...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 04:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,

i haven't been watching or following much this year -- just hopped on the celtic bandwagon recently,
but i'd say most (if not all) players take pride in playing well and winning games.

no one wants to be on a 10-72 team, regardless of the high draft picks those teams receive.

what we are seeing more and more of every year are coaches who rest veterans late in the season if the team's playoff position is set.

it cheapens the sport -- fans don't get to see the stars they paid to see, and it affects other teams battling for higher spots...
Real Music

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I am with you. I don't want Golden State to win. I get tired of hearing about how they are so great. I'm sick of hearing about the Splash brothers. I'm sick of hearing about Stephen Curry.

Any one of 4 teams I would love to see win a championship this year. Those 4 teams includes the San Antonio Spurs, Oklahoma City Thunder, Cleveland Cavaliers, and the Miami Heat. Each one of these 4 teams I would love to win this year for different reasons.

I root for San Antonio so that Tim Duncan and Coach Gregg Popovich can get their 6th and final championship and then retire. I root for the Thunder so that Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant can finally get a championship. I root for Cleveland so that Lebron James brings his home state a championship and solidify all of his basketball accomplishments. I root for the Miami Heat so that Dwayne Wade and Coach Erik Spoelster can win a championship after loosing Lebron James.

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 11:24 am
@Region Philbis,
I'm sure the players don't toss games, but in cases like the Lakers it seems like the coach is trying to tank, and then the 76s have taken tanking to a whole new level that the NBA is actually pondering addressing.

Due to the CBA changes free agency is a bit harder (till the next year's increases in cap) and tanking gained favor as a rebuilding strategy.

Not blaming players though, I just hate the drafts and the incentives it gives american sports teams to lose, you just don't see that in any other sports around the world.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2016 11:25 am
@Real Music,
I'm happy as long as the Cavs don't win, Heat and Thunder I wouldn't mind either.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 09:25 am
I am late to the party - of course being from Boston I'd like the Celtics but hey I am a realist so I don't think I am holding much hope. Outside of that I have to go with Golden State - sorry if you are tired of Steph Curry, but I need to root for him.

My daughter loves him and has been called Steph Curry by boys that she plays pick up games at the Y with on occasion. It doesn't hurt that he is easy on the eyes as well - we both find him cute. And she and him now have the same injury more they have in common. They are a good team even without Steph and he should be back soon (as well as my daughter...watch out states).
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 10:07 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
My daughter loves him and has been called Steph Curry by boys that she plays pick up games at the Y with on occasion.
she got game... Smile
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 07:36 pm
@Region Philbis,
Ha ha...many of the boys at her school say that and call her a baller. So hard for her to play so limited right now with her injury. She was not made to warm the bench.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 07:50 pm
@Linkat,
Meh, injuries suck. I'm gonna have surgery to have my ACL and meniscus tears repaired on the 4th.

Being out of the game sucks, but worst of all is how I went down. I had just moved to a neighborhood that had a rare (for Costa Rica) court and a weekend game and I was excited because due to CR not being a big basketball country I was easily the best player on the court and was already thinking about not being too flashy as I gave them the business and all..

On the very first play of the very first game I got in they passed me the ball at the top of the key. I crossed my defender over once, then did it again for good measure before driving to the basket for what I was planning would be a fundamental, non flashy layup.

As you may have guessed I didn't make it, my knee buckled right when I jumped and I collapsed to the floor and had to hop home on one leg with the ball. Most embarassing injury ever!

It will be almost a year of physical therapy before I can get back out on the court (putting my NBA career in serious jeopardy), and even though I've moved an hour away now when I am better I am going back there to their game and finishing that ******* layup!

Injuries suck! Wish we could play on non-injury mode like in video games.
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 08:36 pm
@Robert Gentel,
My goodness they do...put it it to you this way I have two girls 17 and 13 athletic girls in the past year we have had two strained knees, a concesion, a broken finger and a sprained ankle.

Another friend had a torn ACL at 12. She is just back at playing. Yes injuries are the worst.

Little one should be done with PT in a couple of weeks...she is playing but with limited time.tough when she as the one who had most minutes in games.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2016 07:29 pm
Dang, the Spurs are crushing OKC. I was hoping that would be a competitive series.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 08:44 pm
I'm having a harder time not rooting for the Cavs than I expected. That crazy three-pointer game! The nail-biter today!
Real Music

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 08:54 pm
@sozobe,
The Cavs have peeked at the right time. They are playing their best basketball since Lebron's return to Cleveland last year. Unlike previous LeBron James Cleveland teams, this team is actually playing like a team. That was not the case last season.
sozobe

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 08:35 am
@Real Music,
It was last season too I think -- they really embraced Delly and his heroics, for example. They just were short-handed due to injuries.

Agreed that they're peaking at a good time, they're doing much better than I thought they would.