My fiancee wants me to wait another 3 years for our wedding, what's your opinion on this

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 10:57 pm
So I am a vietnamese american man and I am 26 years old and I live in california. Back in 2011 I met a young lady in vietnam who i was introduced to by family. I had trouble finding someone on my own so my family helped me out. She and I both agreed in 2011 that we would get married this summer the summer of 2016. Back in January she told my aunts and my parents and me that she is postponing the wedding for another 3 years stating that she has to care for her parents and siblings first and work and help them fix their house first before she gets married. She says she has to do that first before even thinking about marriage. I am ticked off at her because I have waited literally almost 5 to 6 years for this wedding and she goes and does this. I want to start a family of my own and have a wife and children. I am also a virgin too and I have saved myself for marriage for so long and she goes and does this to me. I feel betrayed and hopeless and depressed. What's your opinion on this ? Does she sound like she is genuinely and honest about her reasons ? What should I do ?

roger

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 12:15 am
@scarecrow939,
Caring for parents and siblings and fixing their house could take a lifetime. I don't believe it would work for me. I don't know about you.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 03:00 am
@scarecrow939,
scarecrow939 wrote:
What's your opinion on this ?

Dunno but reading between the lines it sounds like an arranged marriage that is currently a long distance relationship and that she doesn't sound as interested in as you, and that you are desperate and think it's your only chance. It isn't, and maybe she is interested in moving to the US more than the relationship but isn't ready to abandon her family there.

But like most of these relationship questions we really have no idea what you are dealing with and you are going to have to figure it out for yourself. We can only guess blindly and that's no way to decide things like marriage. You need to talk and decide what you want to do and internet strangers aren't gonna be much help here.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 04:37 am
@scarecrow939,
Doesn't sound too terribly fair to me, but only you can decide whether she's enough to wait around for.

Recognize that the longer you wait, the harder it will be for either of you to find another mate. But also, being 'connected', even if you're not truly connected or care about each other, is a kind of avoidance behavior. She gets to call off guys by saying she has a boyfriend. You get to avoid looking for a girlfriend or wife because you allegedly have someone.

Nowhere in there do you say you love this woman. She just seems like someone to marry and lose your virginity to. I realize not everyone has the same ideas about love or marriage or virginity, but the bottom line is, this woman does not seem to be overly special to you. And the same seems to be true in reverse.

I don't advocate threatening someone with a breakup in order to get them to marry you; that's a recipe for a 6-month marriage at the longest. But you should have a talk. Not an online chat, but a phone call. A Skype call with video would be best. Explain you're unhappy and offer her a chance to end it. But also tell her you won't hang around another three years. It's enough already.

She may be relieved. And you probably will, too.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 06:25 am
@scarecrow939,
Her opinion is worth a whole lot more than mine or anyone else here.

My opinion (for what its worth) is she knows whats right for her.
0 Replies