Recommend books to English leaner

lanyang

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 04:09 am
As an English language learner,I always feel confused:how can I study English well.I must read more foreign excellent books to be more familiar with this language.So which books should I read?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 586 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 04:18 am
@lanyang,
Pick something fictional that you might read in your own language. If you like mysteries, that would be a good choice as they use lots of conversational language. Same for romance novels.

I suggest you avoid material with language specific to a specific field. If you are learning a language, save the philosophical topics till you've got the everyday usage under control.
Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 05:02 am
Reading plays would also help. Plays are almost entirely dialog, and are usually rendered in casual, ordinary language. I'm not talking about Shakespeare, but more contemporary authors. Neil Simon might be a good idea. He writes comedies, and they're about ordinary people.
jespah

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 07:54 am
@Setanta,
Thornton Wilder and Wendy Wasserstein also come to mind - good dialogue and the usages are contemporary or close to it.
0 Replies

lanyang

Reply Thu 5 May, 2016 06:51 am
@roger,
Thanks a lot!
0 Replies