Exorcist: The Beginning, any1 see it?

td8181

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:28 am
It is me or what? No one here talk about The Exorcist Beginning? No one see the movie?
Anyone here see it, I have a question, where and who is the actually Demon spirit come from anyways to possessed people? And why do the Demon want Father Merrid, I dind't read the novel, so am just lost.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,072 • Replies: 8
No top replies

fortune

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 06:33 am
Been a while since I saw that movie, or the sequel for that matter.

I'm not sure but I think some of that may have been explained in the sequel (which was just weird and needed several watchings to understand everything that went on).
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 05:35 am
If I remember right, The demon, Pazuzzu or something, wanted Father Merrin, because he had driven out that same demon years earlier during a stint in Ethiopia (It is never explainend what the heck he was doing there in the first place, Ethiopians are not exactly eager to be converted, having been Christians far longer than the Europeans.)

As non-religious person I found the Exorcist series decidedly non-frightening.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 10:50 am
The original "The Exorcist" wasn't particularly oriented with the demon as a manifistation of a Christian concept of the Devil. The exorcism was unsuccessful if you recall and the demon could easily be a psychological manifistation gone totally rapid. The suggestion is definetely there that the inflicted has telekinetic powers. Even the turning head could be an illusion caused by the psychic, hypnotic powers that could have been hightened by a psychological illness. The priests are obviously baffled that their exorcism is unsuccessful. Even the ending could be a telekinetic/hypnotic event. IMHO, the film is opened to interpretation on many levels. I haven't seen the new film but the reviews are terrible:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/exorcist_the_beginning/

I doubt I'll being plunking down the price of admission even for a matinee. I doubt whether I would ever rent the DVD nor even see it for free on cable. Maybe there should be a special cable channel for no star movies.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 05:54 am
Lightwizard wrote:
The exorcism was unsuccessful if you recall./quote]

Yes, Merrin did not succeed in driving the demon out, but the younger priest did liberate the girl eventually by having the demon jump into him and then taking him with him in his death (although I suppose that was no guarantee that the demon could not take possession of the girl again, and in good horrorfilm tradition, that possibility was left open at the end, I believe and there was of course a sequel in which exactly that happened).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 08:49 am
Yikes -- you should warn SPOILER AHEAD for those who haven't seen the movie. I tried to skirt around giving it away. It still remains for me as a metaphysical event and not necessarily the traditional Christian demon.

The sequel, of course, followed the tradition of being an inferior rehash and III was a travesty where elsewhere on the forum I alluded to the idea that it almost fatally damaged George C. Scott's career.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 07:15 am
I saw "The Beginning" this weekend and I thought it was pretty good. It was pretty scary...not the stuff jump out at you scary but real "this is freaky" kind of scary.

I didn't have high expectaions of the movie but was pleasantly suprised by it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 06:47 pm
"Exorcist" is headed towards your local video store soon. It dropped to number 5 with an almost unprecedented drop in ticket sales. Apparantly the bad reviews and word-of-mouth sent the film into the dumpster.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:41 pm
Just an update if anyone hasn't followed the box office thread. This film has dropped out of the top ten and could easily be added to the list of abject dissapointments critically and in box office.
0 Replies