Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 05:10 am
This is the most acrimonious presidential election campaign i've seen since 1980. In 1980, people who had been life-long friends were no longer speaking to one another by election day. Some couples were on the verge of breaking up. A woman to whom i was attracted, and who had shown her own interest, turned on her heel and stormed out of my office just because i said i was a John Anderson supporter, and would never vote for Reagan. She was so consistently nasty in the summer and fall, that when, after the election, she decided we could be friends again, i was no longer interested.

For the record, i voted for Anderson, even though it was clear that he didn't have a chance. He was the only candidate whose program was in the realm of reality. He is the only Republican i have ever voted for for that office. (He was obliged to run as an independent after the convention.) Jimmy Carter hurt his campaign with the voters by refusing to attend debates if Mr. Anderson were present.

I have never spoken a word against Mr. Sanders. I have certainly decried the obsessive almost hysterical tone of his supporters. For that, i have been treated as though i were the enemy. It's a shame. It's like 1980 all over again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 5,431 • Replies: 122

jespah

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 05:58 am
@Setanta,
Oh yeah.

I was just saying to a friend on FB yesterday that this election has also given rise to the weirdest "We're Number 2!" kinds of rationalizations. This is not a slam on a party or a person or their followers, but I keep seeing these sorts of statements:
  • We won the counties with more square footage!
  • We won a county our party didn't win in 2012!
  • Independents should have been able to vote in this closed primary (no, sorry; that's not how a closed primary works)!
  • Superdelegates suck!
  • Superdelegates rule!

I have seen all of those as justifications for coming in second place. But it doesn't matter. You lost the damned primary (or caucus). Period.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 09:41 am
@Setanta,
"Initially, Anderson was among the most conservative members of the Republican caucus. Three times (in 1961, 1963, and 1965) in his early terms as a Congressman, Anderson introduced a constitutional amendment to attempt to "recognize the law and authority of Jesus Christ" over the United States.[9] The bills died quietly, but came back to haunt Anderson in his presidential candidacy."
The above was taken from the Wikipedia article on John Anderson. Haven't you said that Jesus never existed? Or, did I mitsconstrue your post? To have adopted that amendment would have only added to the divisive nature of the country, in my opinion. Personally, I knew a few people of Catholic background that supported him. I thought it was just reflecting an attempt to cement his demographic into the collective mind of the country, since many Catholics do know there was a time that Catholicism was considered too foreign for a Protestant country? And, if the amendment disenfranchised the Jewish community, hey dems da breaks, speaking in the NYC vernacular.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 09:55 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I have never spoken a word against Mr. Sanders. I have certainly decried the obsessive almost hysterical tone of his supporters. For that, i have been treated as though i were the enemy. It's a shame. It's like 1980 all over again.

I love irony. I am going to sit back and watch this thread develop...

(ohhh the popcorn is ready.)
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 10:16 am
Luckily so far, in my personal experience, I've only had it happen online. My niece and nephew who are both old enough to vote, one twenty and the other thirty, are Bernie supporters. Over Easter dinner, we brought it up, but didn't let it get to the point of being mad. My granddaughter and her boyfriend of whom neither can vote (thank goodness, jk) one was a Rubio supporter and granddaughter loves Bernie. I haven't discouraged either but glad they are interested. I guess over the years living with in-laws who are big republicans though registered democrats, I have just learned it is not worth the point to let politics spoil family. I only argue online, won't even mess with fb.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 11:33 am
In the details of the election, of course, there's absolutely no similarity between 1980 and today. I also doubt the Mr. Sanders will pull off a surprise upset and end up in the White House. But the devotion of his adherents is exactly like that of the supporters of Reagan. There are people to this day who become irate at the least perceived criticism of Reagan. I fear for the unity of the so-called left in American politics.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 12:43 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I fear for the unity of the so-called left in American politics.

So do I. Bernie isent a democrat and he is showing it by staying in the race even when he can see he dosent have a chance to win. He is helping Trump or who ever the republicans run. The longer he stays the less chance a dem. senate will be elected.
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 12:46 pm
It is exactly the senate races which worry me.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 12:51 pm
@RABEL222,
This is a very divisive thing to say... and not helpful for Hillary at all.

If Bernie isn't a Democrat for whom should his supporters vote in the general election? The Democrats got very upset when Ralph Nader didn't run as a Democrat. They have no right to be upset with Bernie Sanders who did run as a Democrat.

Of all the nastiness that Hillary supporters have shown toward Bernie supporters, this attack is the most counter-productive (assuming the goal is to unify the party).

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 12:56 pm
Quod erat dēmonstrandum.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 01:01 pm
@maxdancona,
Why do you say it is not helpful to state facts? He has ran as a democrat (I am glad he did), he caucuses with the democrats, but he is still listed as an independent. His voters should vote in democrat primary as democrats in closed primaries, they should keep up with their own prescient's rules and dates for changes for party status. In open primaries, they can vote as whatever they wish.

Sanders Still Registered as Independent Despite Claims He’s a ‘Democrat for Life’
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 01:02 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
If Bernie isn't a Democrat for whom should his supporters vote in the general election?

Of course they should choose to vote for any candidate, of any party, who most represents their values and has the best chance of winning.

Doesn't matter if it's a democrat or not does it?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 01:10 pm
@maporsche,
I doubt that Hillary would agree with you.
engineer

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 01:11 pm
@maxdancona,
It also doesn't really matter what party they were in the past. People are voting for the person, not so much the party. Sanders and Clinton are running as Democrats because that party more aligns with their ideals but the Democratic party covers a lot of area. Neither of them (or their supporters) own the definition of "Democrat" nor does it make sense for people to run around calling others DINO's.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 01:14 pm
@maxdancona,
I bet she would.

Tell me, if Sanders loses and you're faced with a choice between her or Trump, which one of those two most represents your views and has the best chance of winning the election?

Some people believe that they should vote for the person who best represents their values regardless of their chance of winning. I happen to disagree with that, as do most Americans. Winning is actually quite important.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 01:15 pm
The topic of this thread is the acrimony in this election cycle. It would be nice if people would leave the acrimony at the door and discuss the topic.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 01:30 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I have certainly decried the obsessive almost hysterical tone of his supporters.

Ironically, Setanta himself started the acrimony in this thread.

But I love irony.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 01:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Of all the nastiness that Hillary supporters have shown toward Bernie supporters, this attack is the most counter-productive (assuming the goal is to unify the party).

Max have you overlooked the attacks that the Hillary haters have perpetrated on posters like me. Stupid, uneducated, and even worse comments because we would rather vote for Hillary than Bernie.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 01:39 pm
You wouldn't know irony if it bit you in the ass. Why don't you go piss all over someone else's thread, you adolescent creep.

It may surprise you to learn that you don't know nearly as much as you seem to think you do, and that not everything is about you.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 01:43 pm
@Setanta,
Woo Hoo! I do know irony. And you, my dear Setanta, provide it in spades!

I love you. Now come give Max a hug.
0 Replies