Exhaust fan with neutral versus no neutral

Quonji

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 10:05 pm
Question is if I have an exhaust fan on a regular light switch hook up with only a hot , a load and a ground wire. Will putting a timer designed for an incadescant light only with no neutral wire needed degrade the current performance of the exhaust fan with no neutral involved in its current configuration?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 873 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2016 11:11 am
@Quonji,
Quon, by "neutral" I presume you mean ground, usu green, (supposedly connected to the fan metallic frame) so I suppose the fan will work okay, provided only that the timer meets its power requirement. However, I'd still ground the fan

Eng, help
engineer

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2016 11:26 am
@dalehileman,
As long as the fan is grounded you should be fine.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2016 05:23 pm
@Quonji,
Thanks to Eng for confirming the fan (that is, it's frame) should be grounded. However there's some confusion about the terms "load," "ground," and "neutral." For instance Quon uses the term "load" to mean return or neutral but then claims his timer has no neutral wire, which is very unlikely and so I am wondering if he means ground wire
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2016 05:49 pm
@Quonji,
The timer is simply acting like a switch. It opens and closes the circuit. For 110 v circuits in the US opening one leg will turn the circuit off.

Like all switches you want to wire it so that when the switch is off there is no power to the equipment. The switch should be between the breaker and the fan.
0 Replies