Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2016 09:55 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Lordyaswas wrote:
Why do you have to make it vanish?

because I don't want the clutter of things I don't care about

other people can still see it

So if five people are not interested in a certain post and downthumb to clear it out of their way, that poster ends up with a -5 and is not exactly encouraged to carry on posting.

Still seems selfish to me.
mark noble

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2016 09:58 am
@Lordyaswas,
My point, exactly.
Call me 'selfish', by all means - Your opinion is as worthy, as is anyones'.
But, I am the last survivor of the 'philosophy-forum', which was absorbed by this forum, presumably to add content to its existing members' requirements.
If I'd wanted to join a forum, lacking philosophical content......
And 'residentialism' is not for me.
Everyting about a2k is 'naff' and outdated, imo, but an occasional visit allows me to study what I study.
What is it, do you think, it is, I study?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2016 11:01 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
So if five people are not interested in a certain post and downthumb to clear it out of their way, that poster ends up with a -5

only if no one thumbs it up
it's not a one-way street

Robert has talked about other ways to manage this when the site is redesigned. In the meantime, I handle it the way it works for me - some ignores, some down thumbs ( I also thumb up but that's a separate issue). It makes the site usable for me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2016 11:07 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

I must have all this up and downthumbing wrong, as it seems that people are using the downthumb simply to clear their decks, rather than indicate that the downthumbed post was not nice.

people use them for any number of reasons - there have been multiple threads on thumbs

when I use them, I hear Mr. Boyd's voice in my head, tidy up time everyone tidy up time. Mr. Boyd was my high school calculus teacher and he always had us rewrite our work at the end of a class - without extraneous notes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2016 11:44 am
@Lordyaswas,
I will clear the decks on threads and not very often (but not never) thumb down posts within a thread; if those keep up, the person will likely go on ignore.
I'll thumb up if someone put work into a post, such as in showing photos or finding some research and linking it and commenting on it, or just because I plain old like a post as funny or thoughtful.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 04:57 pm
@mark noble,

that be me, from a few years back... i'm a bit more greyer these days...
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 04:14 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
But, I am the last survivor of the 'philosophy-forum', which was absorbed by this forum
I wondered what happened there. I only noticed its existence a few days ago. Looks like a ghost town.

Some 'Modern philosophers' bear some of the blame for that. Trying to prove that 'the universe does not exist' and other such denials of reality is a real buzz kill.
mark noble

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 09:19 am
@Region Philbis,
You're, cleary, just me, (physically) Cap, tash, beard from yesteryear:)
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2016 09:27 am
@Leadfoot,
Think you'd have fitted in well, there, Lead.
Considering (IMO) your mindset.
0 Replies