How important is Family in todays Society?

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 03:31 am
How major of an impact do family relationships affect our lives individually and in today's Society, compared to 20years ago? Has it Increased in importance in our lives, made us who we are as individuals, and in so as a positive contributor to society? Or has the significance it carried then, starting to diminish? With all the apparent cultural, spiritual, and evolutionary changes (our youths today are 85% more physically,mentally, and emotionally, more advanced then we were at that age group) in our Societies, how essential or non essential are family relationships?

fresco

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 08:35 am
@Magforce16,
Laughing
Where does the 85% come from ?
Magforce16

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 03:23 pm
@fresco,
Thank you for the response, wasn't sure if anyone would respond to this. Have a lot if people who viewed it, with no response. So, again Thank you.
Heard it from someone on those TedX talks. Its what got me interested in this topic, I don't remember the gentleman's name, but he was originally talking on the topic of Social Institutions and his own experience in Jail. I will go check on a more reliable source for the percentage, I should have realized and been more through with my data.
0 Replies

Magforce16

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 03:36 pm
@fresco,
Over the past 100 years, Americans' mean IQ has been on a slow but steady climb. Between 1900 and 2012, it rose nearly 30 points, which means that the average person of 2012 had a higher IQ than 95 percent of the population had in 1900....
This was taken from the American Psychological Association website. It is called the "Flynn Effect"
Ragman

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 06:44 pm
@Magforce16,
IQ tests are not a true representation of society and how smart an individual is and their ability to do certain tasks.

If you use as your yard-stick the Stanford-Binet IQ test, it has long been known for it's skewed results that reflect a racial non-diversity....when comparing minorities and blacks it no longer can be relied upon as accurate.

Also as an example, the level of literacy of North American populace differs greatly from the time period of 1916 to 2016. Just because a tested individual is not as literate, it doesn't necessarily mean they can't be smart. They may be financially disadvantaged and had to leave school early.

Take for example...if you were testing in the year 1916...and did testing for the norm for that era, you might create the test around criteria and tasks such as building a cart, or (due to more farm-oriented culture) create a test that was oriented towards usage of farm implements.

However, if you created the test around vocabulary, advanced math, and academics and sciences, then you will see a skewed and inaccurate result.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 06:53 pm
@Magforce16,
Furthermore, the following statement needs to be clarified. As a statement about our current society, it holds no credibility:
Quote:
...our youths today are 85% more physically, mentally, and emotionally, more advanced then we were at that age group)

Physically, we've certainly gotten taller and are much better fed and are more protected against illnesses that killed many 100 years ago.

As for those other qualities or personality traits, I wouldn't have the faintest idea of how you'd be comparing and what measuring criteria you'd be using.

Magforce16

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 09:14 pm
@Ragman,
I see what you are saying and Thank you for the response. This was my first post, so I was not sure how to state my question. I will however be more vigilant with how I do present any further post. I should have stuck to the differences in family values, from the early 1900's to 2016. I was looking for opinions on how much does having a strong or weak family relationship affect the individual and then in turn does that affect roll over into society.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 11:38 pm
@Magforce16,
I assume you are a social sciences student. On that basis you presumably have been told to define your terms operationally otherwise you descend to the level of bar room chat. For example, how are you going to measure 'family relationships' or ' contribution to society'... etc. Nebulous figures like '85%' are of course pretty meaningless without such operational definitions.

One angle you might pursue is on the basis that 'self identity' is a social construct, that 'the family' is a primary vehicle for socialization, and that 'family' is a microcosm of 'society'. Such a thesis has the potential advantage of avoiding the error of confusing sociological and psychological levels of discourse. (That 'error' could be taken as an operational definition of 'bar room chat' Wink ).
Magforce16

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 01:57 am
@fresco,
Thank you very much for that insight. I have read some of the responses on here, and frankly theres a way to give someone advice or even your opinion but there are many many people on here that are flat out rude and insulting for no apparent reason. I am completely new to this, and if I wasn't needing so much help I would have chose another site, however along with all the harshness and disregard I have read some of the most helpful and explanatory replies. Again Thank you and I hope my next post will try to remember what you have shared with me. :-)
0 Replies