Why is suicide wrong?

amerd50

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 12:34 pm
Why is suicide wrong? Society has no right to force people to live in there own personal hell. Forcing me to try to perservere through it only to find that there is no end to the pain. We all have our own morals and ethics but, those beliefs are based on the individual and who are you to force your beliefs on to me? I believe that we will find peace in death and peace is what I need.

fresco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 02:54 pm
@amerd50,
Far be it from me to judge anyone who contemplates suicide, but I would make the following observations.
1. There is much evidence indicating that what you call 'self' today is transient and subject to change. Failed suicides often become grateful they did not succeed.
2. Unless you are a 'religious believer' ,what you call 'you' simply ceases to exist after death and therefore cannot experience 'peace' or anything else for that matter. (Of course Christian believers, for example, would be automatically classified as 'wrong' since for them, 'life is sacred')
3. Those who even consider the judgement of others, actually lack the independence of action they claim. That is why threats of suicide are often disguised 'cries for help'.
roger

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 03:00 pm
@fresco,
Of course, failed suicides may not have been fully committed in the first place.
fresco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 03:02 pm
@roger,
True. But note also that 'fully committed' is anyway antithetical to an argumentative committee view of 'self' which underpins the 'transience' point.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 03:12 pm
Many christians consider suicide a sin, because the individual concerned has "given up on salvation." The catholic church considers it one of the seven deadly sins, the sin of despair. This attitude is incorporated in to law, or has been in the past, and that accounts for the social attitude that suicide is wrong, at least more than any other basis for that claim.
Kathy2

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 04:15 pm
@amerd50,
It's not wrong to want to put a stop to the pain. Besides, you had no say in coming into the world and the circumstances surrounding it. It's only society trying to pressure you to feel guilty about it. It perfectly normal response to ongoing persistent pain.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 04:36 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
Failed suicides often become grateful they did not succeed.
True, but it is often the case that the survivor emerges as a changed for the better person.

Don't ask me to explain why. It's just an observation.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 04:45 pm
There are so many complexities to suicide that I think they need to be considered on a case by case basis. There are vast differences between the deaths of Yukio Mishima, a person blowing their brains out with a gun and a person cutting their wrists.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 05:31 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Failed suicides often become grateful they did not succeed.

Of the failed suicides I've seen in the hospital, not a single one was grateful that they did not succeed. One man ( in the 50-60 year old range) ended up alive, bed-ridden and comatose , while a young woman, who failed at her suicide attempt cried non-stop and appeared to be very ashamed when her parents and boyfriend visited her.

Because of the huge number of college students in Massachusetts, it's no surprise that many kids attempt to kill themselves when they break up with their girl friends/boyfriends or when they do very poorly in school.

In the past, there has seemed to be a fairly large number of suicides at elite schools such as MIT or even Harvard. Even when a young person recovers from an attempted suicide, they find themselves thrown back into the environment that was instrumental in pushing them to attempt suicide in the first place. Under such a situation, it's doubtful these young students are happy/grateful to have survived their suicide attempts.That's one reason why many will attempt to kill themselves, again.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 05:32 pm
An acquaintance gave me a little different spin on what to say to people who contemplate suicide. He said that they think that they will be ending the pain and going somewhere better. Even those who believe there is only nothingness beyond this life, nothingness might seem preferable to continuing to bear whatever they are going through. What he tells them is they don't really know that they'd be ending the pain or going to nothingness - one possibility is that they'd make their situation worse.
Also, the old standby that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem is true in a lot of cases.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 05:45 pm
@amerd50,
It is not wrong except when it is...
snood

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 06:19 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

It is not wrong except when it is...

Enriching and heartwarming words of wisdom
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 09:12 am
@amerd50,
In my opinion, suicide is wrong since it is based on the false assumption that the "pain doesn't end." The pain can lessen with time, below the threshold that makes suicide a thought. I find it odd that one isn't curious to see how one's personal story continues over time, seeing how time changes who one knows/sees/likes. Also, I read some theory on why suicide is still part of humans' thinking over evolutionary time. The theory was that when we were hunter gatherers, committing suicide may have been an altruistic act if one was a drag on that small group, not holding them up to continue their scavenging mode of existence. Today, that possible evolutionary value would be an anachronism, I believe, since we do not live in small hunter gatherer groups, and a suicide negatively affects many, many people, known and unknown. Just my non-professional opinion. One should get a professional opinion.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 09:30 am
@Foofie,
Lets hope you don't ever come to the situation where you would dread a freaking "professional" to tell you what to do with your life in a real miserable situation.
Lilkanyon

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 03:15 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Many christians consider suicide a sin, because the individual concerned has "given up on salvation." The catholic church considers it one of the seven deadly sins, the sin of despair. This attitude is incorporated in to law, or has been in the past, and that accounts for the social attitude that suicide is wrong, at least more than any other basis for that claim.

Actually suicide is not considered one of the seven deadly sins (created by man, btw, not God) but irrelevant of that, I understand it only as as option of mortal painful death, nothing else.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 04:16 pm
@Lilkanyon,
Quote:
I understand it only as as option of mortal painful death, nothing else.
' Option of' or 'option to' ?
Lilkanyon

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 05:00 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
I understand it only as as option of mortal painful death, nothing else.
' Option of' or 'option to' ?

Ooohh...option of... I watched both parent die painful deaths to cancer.. I dont want to go out like that. Id rather not debate grammar when it comes to that? I know you didnt know that. Suicide is a sensitive subject for me and always an option in reasonable circumstances, none of which involve grammar.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 05:08 pm
@Lilkanyon,
OK, I just wouldn't chose an 'option of painful death'. I'd like something different.

Words do have meaning.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 06:54 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Lets hope you don't ever come to the situation where you would dread a freaking "professional" to tell you what to do with your life in a real miserable situation.

"Dread a freaking 'professional'"? They don't necessarily tell one what to do; I thought they help interpret one's situation? Also, if one is introspective one should see that a "miserable situation" is subjective, not objective. Let's not pursue this discussion, since you do not know me, my set of experiences, the world I live/lived in. You sound angry? If you are, I hope you get over it, since I am a non-sequitur in your life.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 08:21 am
@amerd50,
It isn't wrong - Nothing is wrong.
Morals, ethics, standards - Others' call.
If I opt to extinguish my physical existence (No intention of - as of today), I will do so.
And it is every individuals own shout, as far as I'm concerned.
0 Replies