Rising fascism in the US

layman

Fri 2 Dec, 2016 05:29 pm
@old europe,
Typical (fallacious) cheese-eater "logic."

1. Spencer is a racist.

2. Spencer calls himself alt.right

3. Therefore anyone that I call "alt.right" is a racist.

Don't quite fly, now, does it?

Maybe this is better:

1. Spencer is a racist.

2. Spencer calls himself alt.right

3. Therefore any one seen in the vicinity of Spencer is both alt.right AND a racist.

Awww...fraid that dont work neither.

Nice try, cheese-eater.
0 Replies

old europe

Fri 2 Dec, 2016 05:38 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
These people?

Yes.

The people who give standing ovations to Spencer when he shouts “Hail Trump, hail our people, hail victory!”

The people who stand up to enthusiastically give Nazi salutes.

The people who applaud and cheer when the guy who has been credited with creating the term "alt-right" spreads Nazi propaganda about the superiority of the white race in front of them.

These people.

Quote:
Typical instance of attempting to smear a whole crowd of people with "guilt by association."

It's really unfair that the alt-right should get tarnished by a group of people applauding the racist, white supremacist, Nazi propaganda from a self-proclaimed alt-right leader, is it?

We should listen to all those people who claim that the alt-right has nothing to do with racism, Nazism or white supremacy. Right?

That would be fair.
layman

Fri 2 Dec, 2016 05:53 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

We should listen to all those people who claim that the alt-right has nothing to do with racism, Nazism or white supremacy. Right?

That would be fair.

You refer to "THE alt.right." What is it? Robert Spencer, or whatever his name is? Did you even listen to the video where this Milo guy, who "wrote the book" on what the alt.right is, explains it?

Hmmm.

Did you even read my next post demonstrating the logical incoherency of your innuendo?

Hmmmm?

If so, then you might want to consider a response that shows at least a modicum of intellectual integrity.

If not, then try responding to what is actually said rather than just reiterating your absurd cheese-eatin left-wing garbage.
layman

Fri 2 Dec, 2016 07:12 pm
AP 12/2/16 by Layboy, A2K correspondent.

A poster who identifies himself only as "Yurp," is a longtime [history] member of an online message board called "able2know" [association]. Posters at that site have been known to take strongly pro-muslim positions [association AND position]. Yurp denies that he is an ISIS member or sympathizer, but I, as a member of an independent press, refuse to limit myself to reporting how Yurp defines himself. Yurp is suspected of receiving indoctrination from Islamic Mullahs in several muslim countries, including Syria, Iran, and Pakistan, and many see him as "sleeper" in the ISIS army of soldiers. Well, there you have it, then. Draw your own conclusions.
Lash

Fri 2 Dec, 2016 08:53 pm
@old europe,
Yeah, dammit! And let's talk about those damn terrorist Muslims!
0 Replies

RABEL222

Fri 2 Dec, 2016 09:28 pm
@layman,
Isent it hell to argue with someone who can see through your BS?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 3 Dec, 2016 01:28 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

You refer to "THE alt.right." What is it? Robert Spencer, or whatever his name is? Did you even listen to the video where this Milo guy, who "wrote the book" on what the alt.right is, explains it?

If not, then try responding to what is actually said rather than just reiterating your absurd cheese-eatin left-wing garbage.

Small, smug minds don't require much information to achieve certainty. Evidently old europe sees overtones of the european Hitler in Trump. He doesn't get it and doesn't understand, but his curiosity is satisfied
RABEL222

Sat 3 Dec, 2016 03:22 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Small, smug minds

It takes a lot of balls to describe some one like this when they are twice as smart as you are.
0 Replies

old europe

Sat 3 Dec, 2016 08:24 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
He doesn't get it and doesn't understand, but his curiosity is satisfied

George, what's your opinion on what happened at the annual conference of the National Policy Institute, right there atthe Ronald Reagan Building in the capital of the United States?

No reason for concern?
layman

Sat 3 Dec, 2016 08:33 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:
He doesn't get it and doesn't understand, but his curiosity is satisfied

George, what's your opinion on what happened at the annual conference of the National Policy Institute, right there atthe Ronald Reagan Building in the capital of the United States?

No reason for concern?

You're not asking me, Yurp, but "concern" about what? About Trump, is that what you're asking?
old europe

Sat 3 Dec, 2016 09:18 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
This guy, as a presumed authority on the topic, is pressed, at length, to describe what the "alt.right" means, and he doesn't say anything like Spencer. Go figure, eh?

I know. Yiannopoulos writes disgusting stuff, and spreads it to his followers. He's the young, dynamic, presentable, and - most importantly for white male supremacists - gay face of the alt-right. Stuff like this:

Milo Yiannopoulos wrote:
Time for some honesty. Women are — and you won’t hear this anywhere else — screwing up the internet for men by invading every space we have online and ruining it with attention-seeking and a needy, demanding, touchy-feely form of modern feminism that quickly comes into conflict with men’s natural tendency to be boisterous, confrontational and delightfully autistic.

And of course, he has an easy solution for sexism on the internet: "Women should just log off. Given that men built the internet, along with the rest of modern civilisation, I think it’s only fair that they get to keep it."

His followers eat it up. The love that fact that he's saying exactly what they want to hear.

When called out on it outside of the alt-right bubble, Yiannopoulos' usual defense it to claim that he didn't mean a single word he said. It's all just sarcasm. He just wants to stir the pot. He just wants to get a rise out of liberals. He cannot possibly be sexist or homophobic, because he's gay. He cannot possibly be racist or a white supremacist, because he brags about all the black guys he's sleeping with.

It's a brilliant strategy.
layman

Sat 3 Dec, 2016 09:30 pm
@old europe,
Well, you really haven't addressed the point. You can love or hate this Milo guy and agree or disagree with his stated opinions, but HE is not the issue.

The question is just who/what is the alt.right?

Is it the NPI? If so, then why call it by some other vague and nebulous "other" name like "alt.right?" What's the point? If you mean the NPI, then just say "the NPI."

Or is this undefined "alt.right" supposed to include people other than the NPI? If it includes others, and they are NOT members of the NPI, then who are they, and what do THEY believe?

Milo gives a completely different definition of "alt.right," and defines an "agenda" that is far from what the NPI seems to advocate. Milo works for Briebart. When Bannon says that Briebart "has given a platform to the alt.right" (a statement that has been repeated--with feigned or real horror--ad nauseum by mainstream media) , which "alt.right" is he referring to, ya think?
layman

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 06:37 am
@layman,
Question: Given the fact that David Duke reads the NYT, and that he was, and may secretly still be, actively involved in the KKK, how many of the following conclusions can you validly infer?:

1. The NYT sympathizes with the KKK.

2. Readers of the NYT sympathize with the KKK.

3. Friends of readers of the NYT sympathize with the KKK.

Answer: From brainless right-wing tool: All of them! Let's get busy spreading the news to our base and our recruitment targets right now!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 04:02 pm
@old europe,
It appears to me that the issues you are raising are trivial in the extreme. Even today's urbanized world is big enough for a little, quite natural, variation. Contemporary doctrines of political correctitude are not only tedious and tiresome, they are also quite intolerant of dissent or deviance in any form. It is a regression in the quality of our civilization.

Odd that you endorse it so vociferously. We have seen rather strident advocates of women's rights and access on our cultural scenes for generations, and they have accomplished some beneficial changes, and, in some areas, gone a bit too far. That some analogous male voices should arise shouldn't surprise or inflame any rerasonable person. We will survive it all, even without your hyperventilation and posturing.
layman

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 05:13 pm
From the NYT

Quote:
Stephen K. Bannon, the executive chairman of Breitbart News, whom Mr. Trump has picked as his chief White House strategist, told an interviewer in July that he considered Breitbart a “platform for the alt-right.” Perhaps we should not make too much of this. Mr. Bannon may have meant something quite different by the term. Last summer “alt-right,” though it carried overtones of extremism, was not an outright synonym for ideologies like Mr. Spencer’s. But in late August, Hillary Clinton devoted a speech to the alt-right, calling it simply a new label for an old kind of white supremacy that Mr. Trump was shamelessly exploiting....

Until Hillary Clinton’s speech last summer, a similarly broad idea prevailed of what the alt-right was. The Southern Poverty Law Center’s webpage on the movement traces some of its roots to libertarian followers of Ron Paul and traditionalist Christians... Understood this way, the alt-right did look as if it might be a pillar of Mr. Bannon’s world Tea Party.

Not even the former Breitbart editor at large Ben Shapiro, who has become an energetic critic of Mr. Bannon and his agenda, says that Mr. Bannon is himself a racist or an anti-Semite. Mr. Shapiro considers fears that Mr. Bannon will bring white nationalism to the White House “overstated, at the very least.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/opinion/sunday/what-the-alt-right-really-means.html?_r=0

Resorting to cheap, transparent sophistry, Clinton (1) falsely equated the term "alt.right" with "white supremacy" and then (2) portrayed Bannon (and hence Trump) as reflective of that, simply because Bannon had used the same term in an entirely different sense.

If she didn't fool anyone else, she certainly fooled her supporters (which includes virtually the entire media). But I don't think the media was "fooled" at all. They, like her, saw this formula for smearing Trump with cynically amoral sophistry as being a useful tool for misleading others.
georgeob1

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 06:11 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Resorting to cheap, transparent sophistry, Clinton (1) falsely equated the term "alt.right" with "white supremacy" and then (2) portrayed Bannon (and hence Trump) as reflective of that, simply because Bannon had used the same term in an entirely different sense.

If she didn't fool anyone else, she certainly fooled her supporters (which includes virtually the entire media). But I don't think the media was "fooled" at all. They, like her, saw this formula for smearing Trump with cynically amoral sophistry as being a useful tool for misleading others.

Nailed it !
RABEL222

Sun 4 Dec, 2016 07:54 pm
@georgeob1,
Both of you lie through your teeth as a matter of fact most of the time. If you want proof just review your last posts.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 05:54 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Small, smug minds don't require much information to achieve certainty. Evidently old europe sees overtones of the european Hitler in Trump. He doesn't get it and doesn't understand, but his curiosity is satisfied

True dat, George.

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.” (Bertrand Russell, eh?)

Haven't seen Yurp around for a good long spell now. I sure hope he hasn't been kidnapped by Robert Spencer's group, all 200 of them.

0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 06:22 pm
Quote:
What warrants a block from our next president? Sometimes all it takes is a puerile jab from a high schooler.

Antonio Del Otero, 16, said he was blocked after replying to one of Trump's tweets by likening the president-elect to a Cheetos snack.

"I didn't believe it at first," said Del Otero, a Detroit resident who has since deleted the offending tweet because he caught the ire of Trump supporters online. "I didn't know what to think. I see this guy all over the news and he must have seen my tweet and blocked me. I was really shocked, but my grandma was thrilled."

Though a fervent Trump detractor who uses an expletive on his Twitter page to denounce the incoming president, Del Otero is still hopeful he'll be unblocked after inauguration day, figuring staff members will eventually take over the presidential account with a clean slate.

"If not, it's just as much an honor to be blocked by the 45th president of the United States," said Del Otero, a member of his high school class council.

source
0 Replies

old europe

Mon 5 Dec, 2016 06:22 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
It appears to me that the issues you are raising are trivial in the extreme. Even today's urbanized world is big enough for a little, quite natural, variation.

To sum up, your point of view is that a group of people loudly cheering to white supremacist propaganda in support of the President-elect is "a little, quite natural, variation" that is "trivial in the extreme."

Interesting opinion.

georgeob1 wrote:
Contemporary doctrines of political correctitude are not only tedious and tiresome, they are also quite intolerant of dissent or deviance in any form. It is a regression in the quality of our civilization.

It's curious that you think the real danger to the quality of our civilization is not a group of well-connected white supremacists celebrating the election of Mr. Trump as a President who will finally represent their views in government, but rather discussion and possibly even rejection of this kind of white supremacist propaganda.

georgeob1 wrote:
Odd that you endorse it so vociferously.

You do have an incredibly hard time to address any kind of topic without sneaking in some kind of ad hominem, don't you?
0 Replies