Rising fascism in the US

Lash

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 05:57 pm
Might as well call it what it is.

For your consideration: http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/14007-no-actually-this-is-what-a-fascist-looks-like

I don't want Donald Trump elected to dogcatcher, but this shite perpetrated by The Boston Globe is inexcusable and the people who had administrative control over this rag should be fired. This is clear propaganda meant to sway political opinions by a "newspaper." Amazing this can happen in this country.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2016/presidential-election-headquarters?intcmp=subnav

Meanwhile, our news media blacked out mention of Bernie for months as he ran for the presidency, ensuring as few people as possible would hear about him - as if they - the media - were on Hillary's payroll. There have been several massive rallies and protests, such as the one that's happening right now in DC, that the media intentionally blacked out. Smells like China.
http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/why-ny-times-basically-doing-blackout-bernie-sanders

I'm also concerned about the fact that Edward Snowden is the one who had to run for his life instead of the administration officials regarding what Snowden dropped to the public. Why in hell hasn't some action been taken to put a stop to governmental intrusion into our lives? http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/why-edward-snowden-is-a-hero

I despise the direction my country is headed.

What do you think?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2016/presidential-election-headquarters?intcmp=subnav

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 29 • Views: 195,380 • Replies: 5,089
Topic Closed

View best answer, chosen by Lash
edgarblythe

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 06:24 pm
Could not agree more.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 07:57 pm
@Lash,
I disagree with you on this one Lash.

We have an independent press. The press is allowed to publish opinions or even propaganda. What the Boston Globe published wasn't news, it was a very strong opinion delivered as a biting parody. It wasn't presented as news... it was clear to everyone what it was.

I would say the same thing about Fox... except they aren't as upfront about what they are doing. Anyone knows where they are coming from.

The press is actually less biased now then it was in the past where often a newspaper worked hand in hand with a political party. Whether this is a good thing or not is a matter of debate.

In a free country with an independent press, the newspapers are allowed to publish whatever they want (short of incitement or libel and even that is hard to enforce). It is up to the individual citizens to decide what type of media they choose to consume.
Lash

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 08:13 pm
@maxdancona,
Max,

I feel like you are aware of the extreme bias of political reporting. It seems like you're giving it a pass.

I thought it was biased before, but bernie's campaign has really opened my eyes. He was effectively shut out for months. Who had the power to control that? To what end? That doesn't chill you?

And, I hear your opinion about the Globe, of course, respectfully disagree. People knew it was framed as satire, but how would you react if this bit of satire was directed at YOUR candidate? It's not ok. It's propaganda. Very powerful propaganda.
maxdancona

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 08:32 pm
@Lash,
Propaganda is part of free speech.

Our system of Democracy has an independent press. An independent press (by definition) has a very wide ranging freedom to say what they want. They are allowed to be biased. They are allowed to print propaganda. They are allowed to direct satire at anyone they choose. I do feel frustrated by the way that the press has treated Bernie, but that's life and we have the ability to make news (and we are making news).

I don't know what you think should be done about this that wouldn't involve the government deciding what newspapers can and can not say.
Lash

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 08:37 pm
@maxdancona,
I definitely agree that I don't want the gov't making decisions about what's in print.

But, I see under-the-table agreements among newspaperites in a similar vein as superdelegates. The people lose autonomy. Power is transferred to powerful entities with private incentives toward the outcome. I feel like we're losing ground.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions. I'm going to read around.

BTW, general info re the thread: The papers have started running stories about the protests.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/11/473874785/hundreds-protest-gerrymandering-campaign-finance-laws-on-capitols-steps
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 08:40 pm
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/hundreds-arrested-capitol-protest-voting-and-campaign-finance

Pretty tight write-up.
0 Replies

Blickers

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 08:47 pm
@Lash,
The Boston Globe headline proclaiming Deportations Begin referred to "President Trump".
A newspaper has the right to assume its readership knows who's president and what satire is.
Lash

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 09:00 pm
@Blickers,
You miss the point.
Blickers

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 09:18 pm
@Lash,
No, I got the point. On July 4 1976, during the Bicentennial celebrations, the UK was not doing well economically so the Times of London ran on the whole front page a "Declaration of Dependence" declaring Britain as the 51st State. It was a satire on the economic state the UK was in and having a little fun with the US Bicentennial. Nobody complained much. Why can't the Boston Globe do similar without people calling for management's head?
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 12 Apr, 2016 12:37 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I'm also concerned about the fact that Edward Snowden is the one who had to run for his life instead of the administration officials regarding what Snowden dropped to the public.

Snowden exposed classified information, which helped terrorists to murder innocent people.

The administration officials are trying to save the lives of those same innocent people.

Lash wrote:
Why in hell hasn't some action been taken to put a stop to governmental intrusion into our lives?

Because no one wants to be murdered by terrorists.
Setanta

Tue 12 Apr, 2016 01:49 am
The newspapers of the early republic were every bit as scurrilous, if not more so, than one can allege they are today. Plus ça change . . .
mark noble

Tue 12 Apr, 2016 11:50 am
@Lash,
And this went, somehow, unforseen?
Nope - I have many US-residing acquaintances - And they are well-informed on US societal....... decline.
Maybe you've been otherwise absorbed for the last 300 yrs, or so?
Lordyaswas

Tue 12 Apr, 2016 12:04 pm
@mark noble,
300 years is just your way of riling, I would hope.

The USA was there when it counted during the 20th Century, and has been there at the forefront of democracy right up until the time when that c**t Murdoch appeared on the scene and Fox News started making their News Programmes as sensational as old black and white Batman episodes. All that is missing is the big KAPOW! banner across the screen whenever they take a political swing against pinkos and commies.

I think that the US has led the way when it comes to dumbing down, and we all tag along nicely. We are nearly as bad over here nowadays.
mark noble

Thu 14 Apr, 2016 07:07 am
@Lordyaswas,
I agree.
I (300 yrs) was applying 'early US' - "Post Medici" 'bauer (Roths) principles to the equation.
And (Moving into) 'BRICS' territory - The outside world now equates the US as a larger version of Palestine - Which is a 'laboratory'.

0 Replies

bgg6006

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 01:02 pm
This is all not part of " rising fascism in the US" but the direct undisputed results of rising financial / industrial / CAPITALISTIC powers in the US.
Fix your clocks!
roger

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 01:16 pm
@bgg6006,
Fix my clocks?
Blickers

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 01:38 pm
@roger,
I must admit, I haven't bothered to wind the cuckoo clock in my living room for quite awhile. Now it's only right twice a day.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 01:49 pm
@Blickers,
Didn't you feed the hamsters in it?
0 Replies

roger

Tue 28 Jun, 2016 02:17 pm
@Blickers,
Well, isn't that often enough to set your watch by?