Sun 10 Apr, 2016 05:57 pm
So, I just gave birth 8 weeks ago to a healthy baby boy. Now, my husband here would like us to visit his parents which is about 6 hours away from our village. My mother was telling me the other day that I should wait for another month or 2 before we travel. So now I am confused whether to go or not. My husband keeps on insisting that we should go coz his parents are very excited to see our baby. Do you think it is really safe to travel? Any tips during travelling with a one month old baby? TIA!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,737 • Replies: 9
Topic Closed
No top replies

PUNKEY

Sun 10 Apr, 2016 06:02 pm
How will you be traveling - by car, bus, train?

The child will be fine, but it is you who needs to be sure is in good enough health to travel.
0 Replies

advisorstable

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 03:36 am
@irisalert,
If the baby has no signs of illness then I think, he could travel with you. Although, you must prepare the necessary things that your baby will be needing like the diapers, vitamins and so on. I encourage you also to bring him first to her pediatrician beforehand especially if you are travelling far.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 05:11 am
@irisalert,
It can be hell to travel with babies. Real hell, depending on whether they like it or not. 6 hours drive could be tough, but doable if he sleeps much.

Why don't the grand parents come to visit instead of you going there? That's generally the way it's done. Are they too old for that?
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 08:16 am
@irisalert,
That is an old wives tale. Why ask your mother - you would be better off asking your child's doctor. And don't believe Oliver - babies are easy to travel with - unless you have an extremely fussy baby.

I traveled across country with my infant when she was only about 5 or 6 weeks old. I asked my daughter's pediatrician. She said this is the best age to travel - at that age babies sleep most of the time and are easier to travel with. As long as your baby is healthy there is no reason not to travel with her.

She was born on Nov 13 and we traveled a week or so before Christmas went to Montana for a week and then hopped another plane to Seattle for a week and then traveled back to the east coast.

On the first flight as we were getting off the plane carrying are little one, people remarked wow I didn't even know there was a baby on board -- she was so quiet. What a wonderful baby.

Much easier to travel with --- much easier than a toddler.

Now the only hesitation I see is you state village - so I am not sure where you live --- not sure if there is a difference in travel, weather, illnesses that easily spread, or anything else as in safety issues? If not whether you drive or fly babies typically are lulled easily to sleep with the movement of the car, train or plane so even with fussy babies at that age they usually sleep during travel.
Linkat

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 08:30 am
@Linkat,
Oh and the only advice with such a young infant - take the child's car seat even if flying. If you are flying bring the car seat on board with you - you don't need to buy a ticket for the baby, but let the airline know you have an infant.
They will usually keep the seat next to open or request that they do so if they can until the last seat is sold. If it is open you can put the car seat with baby there. Or you can pay (used to be half price for the seat not sure if it has changed) a reduced price for the seat.

Also suggest however you travel to bring an easy to fold baby carriage, a sling or snugglie to hold baby hands free and all the supplies. You may want to also bring a playpen/cradle for baby to sleep in - we boxed up a play pen that folded up and checked it with our luggage when we flew. Or any sort of portable bed - unless your husband's parents can get access to crib or similar - maybe borrow from a friend.

And of course, diapers, clothes, cleaning products, formula (if you don't breast feed).
0 Replies

vikassingh

Wed 25 May, 2016 04:06 am
@irisalert,
There is nothing to be worried about the travel. People normally does this. It all depends on how you are travelling & in which circumstances. If both you & the baby are fine then there is no need to be worried about the travel. Take all the necessary items like food, water, extra diapers, medicines along with you, moreover it better to take along someone with you as you are travelling with the small baby.
nadarshiv

Tue 23 Aug, 2016 04:43 am
@vikassingh,
Though it actually depends on your due date, if it is within 8 months then avoid travelling and if date if not near then you may go on. But still I think you should avoid because last two months are very crucial and child grows very fast in last three to two months. Just you have to take rest as well while travelling do not exert yourself.
ossobucotemp

Tue 23 Aug, 2016 08:15 am
@nadarshiv,
The thread is not about pregnancy. The baby was born healthy eight weeks earlier.
0 Replies

jananiiyer

Tue 23 Aug, 2016 11:00 pm
@irisalert,
Hello Iris,
Many congratulations for your baby. I think if the weather is good neither very hot not very cold then definitely you can visit. It also depends what vehicle are you using to travel. Just take care of his comfort all time. Proper feeding keeping away from dust and all. Taking care of proper hygiene. Of you take care of these basic things, I think you can travel. Else do not, if you think there might be some issues.
0 Replies