700 Inconsistencies in the Bible

glenmedved

Wed 2 Nov, 2016 10:27 pm
@onevoice,
700 inconsistencies in the bible?

What if there were 717 or 777? No seriously, find that out. I don't know.

As for the actual thing you're talking about, and even if there are more or less, it doesn't matter. It's a hidden way of expressing life, light, love, beauty, power, awe, greatness, and perhaps something else. I'm not too informed, but yeah.
onevoice

Mon 21 Nov, 2016 08:56 am
@glenmedved,
Would love to be able to do an actual response to you Glen, but unfortunately at this time my internet access is extremely limited. I am hoping to see a change in this situation soon, at which point I will take the time to give you a real response! Until then... This is all you gonna get. However, I hope this message finds you well and happy! 😃 Take care!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 21 Nov, 2016 02:27 pm
@glenmedved,
No. The important issue is not the number of errors in the Bible. It's about accepting science. Start with human evolution.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 21 Nov, 2016 03:33 pm
There he goes again...
0 Replies

peacecrusader888

Tue 22 Nov, 2016 05:55 am
The spirit of Ama recommended that we use the King James Version of the Holy Bible because it is "nearer the truth" (than other versions). That means there are errors in the Bible made by the tampering the manuscript. Those said by Jesus, I believe, were not altered. Why? Because He is the true God. So is the book of Revelation. Anyone who alters Revelation must be prepared of what Revelation 22:18-19 say.

One error that I noticed is Acts 12:4. How would the writer of Acts know the word "Easter" when Acts was written? Remember that the Romans were the first to fix Passover in the fourth century AD.
onevoice

Wed 23 Nov, 2016 11:05 am
All can say at this point is:

Razz
0 Replies

onevoice

Sun 25 Dec, 2016 10:31 am
@glenmedved,
Hello glen! Very Happy

I am sure who ever created this list of Inconsistencies wasn't so much concerned about how many there are as he/she was with the fact that it would appear there are Inconsistencies at all. See, it seems that the majority those who don't believe wish to believe that if the Author is perfect, the book describing the Author should be perfect as well. Despite the fact it was written through imperfect vessels.

The only way to really come to the knowledge of the truth is through believing in Jesus and accepting the free gift of the Holy Spirit. This is difficult for many because it means laying down your pride and admitting you may have been wrong about a few things over the years. And because the Holy Spirit is invisible, and not tangible as the world we live in is, it is difficult to believe your life, thoughts, and actions could be influenced and changed by something you cannot see. What people fail to realize is the Holy Spirit is not the only spiritual influence out there.

We are all influenced by something. Whether we ever come to fully accept and believe that or not. The problem is, you can't ever really come to an understanding of any of it until you are willing to accept it's really real and not a bunch of hocus pocus. Smile
0 Replies

trevorw2539

Mon 26 Dec, 2016 09:23 am
@peacecrusader888,
This is really nonsense. Passover in Acts 12:4 refers to the Jewish Passover - nothing to do with Easter. Passover celebrates the supposed Exodus of the Heb
rews from Egypt. One day celebrated on the 10th day of Nissan (Jewish year). Today it is counted as 8 days to include the Feast of Unleavened Bread.

The King James Version has been superceded by modern interpretations because we have greater understanding of the meaning of the OT writings in the times in which they were written, and this also applies to the NT.

Revelations in the NT is simply the writer taking OT Scriptures and images and adding Christian Doctrine. The Essene Sect did the same and added their own teachings.

The Bible is full of errors. This has little to do with tampering - though this has occurred. It is due to modern knowledge of the times and background of the Bible.
cicerone imposter

Mon 26 Dec, 2016 05:14 pm
@trevorw2539,
Did you know that " Nissan" means brother in Japanese?
trevorw2539

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 06:06 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks, but I think the Japanese language is not so simple. Ni san is Japanese for brother (san kyu ni san - thank you brother) - nii san, elder brother. Nissan the English translation.

BUT

Ni ssan (Car manufacturers) Ni (sun) - ssan (birth). Cars from the land of the rising sun.

Nissan (Nisan) is from the Babylonian/Aramaic and related to Nitzan (bud) in Hebrew. Channukah is celebrated at passover as the 'budding' of the nation of the Jews in their escape from Egypt (which never actually happened in my belief).

I actually know little about Japanese but my friend speaks it fluently, having spent many years in Japan, and this has encouraged my son to learn it ready to go and teach English in Japan, if he gets through an interview. He has a BA from Oxford University in a science subject so I'm hoping this will help him.
Me? I have enough trouble with the English Language.
cicerone imposter

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 01:21 pm
@trevorw2539,
Thanks for the education in Japanese. I attended Japanese school for three years as a child, but forgot most of it, since I don't use it.
trevorw2539

Tue 27 Dec, 2016 04:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I spent many years attending an English school. Now I speak fluent pidgeon English. (smile)
0 Replies

Percy Mandible

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 08:03 am
At least some of the bible may be an accurate record of historical events. To the extent some of the information found in the bible is contradictory, and some of Genesis in particular, does not even stand to reason (though agreed it is perhaps intended as allegory rather than historical fact), the bible cannot be considered 'true'.
If, for instance, we pursue the claim of the star leading the way to the precise location of the stable, 'until it stood directly over where the child lay', there is already a problem. This could be a fault of translation - though I, for one, am at a loss to propose a plausible alternative, given the context of the claim. Claims of failure of translation are always there, hovering in background, to get wheeled out again in the event of any problem of believability.
The fact is, no star could sustain itself in geo-synchronous orbit, or in any other kind of Earth-orbit, at so low an altitude as to unequivocally earmark a specific building, and a small one at that – not without extinguishing all life on our planet. The searing energy output of a live star, even one of rock bottom star-magnitude, and its deadly disruptive gravitational influence, would not allow a star to hang sufficiently close to earth to finger a particular nondescript livestock shed. Supposing instead the ‘star’ was in fact roving space material – a comet, meteor, meteorite or bolide, as soon as such a body went into ‘hover mode’ above the stable, as demanded by the story, physics would immediately countermand such intent and it would plummet earthward – not good news for any creature or young child directly beneath. This necessary suspension of the laws of celestial mechanics, dynamics and thermo-dynamics would constitute so gross an aberration of natural laws as to constitute the most staggering miracle in either the bible or any other famous book of astounding magic. Perhaps, declaring some event a miracle automatically renders it immune to any charge of violation of natural laws with no further explanation necessary.
In making the claim for the guiding star in the bland, unequivocal terms it does, the ancient biblical scribe shoots himself in the foot. For anyone with any schooling at all, a moment’s thought would reveal the impossibility of it.
So - either we interpret biblical text literally, that is, take it at face value - and look like simpletons - or we pluck any convenient meaning out of the air to reflect what we need it to say - which is what usually happens anyway.
farmerman

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 08:50 am
@Percy Mandible ,
Your entire argument can be sidestepped without damage to your worldview . Merely consider th entire Biblical account as moral and semi hitorical accounts of a people from whom your entire religious belief is derived. That would make the overal deity (and his reltives) as a transcendent being, not imminent but still overseeing.
By insisting on historical accuracy,You give guys like Dawkins and Coyne and Brockman some ammo to take on and challenge your overall beliefs. Im an atheist but not at all militant about it. I think our sppecies religious derivation is a very interesting tale of history and soial evolution. I find it fascinating and, while I like to debate the aspects of my interests in evolution, I always like to keep religion an similqr beliefs (abiogenesis) separate and out of the mix because , as weve seen herein, nobody has successfully changed anyones opinions.
Percy Mandible

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 11:38 am
@farmerman,
If we do not presume to identify fact from fiction, then the bible is not to be believed as a factual document in any respect whatsoever? Then how do we even know the so called moral lessons it claims, are relevant and acceptable except by our own established criteria - which is ipso facto flawed anyway for why else do we need to take our standard from any writing from a remote and insufficiently authenticated source?
How do you decide what to take as fact and what to discard as something other than a true record? I think everyone takes what suits them and discards whatever they find improbably, distasteful, patently false, contrary to their personal views or utterly ridiculous.
I have to go now and join my neighbours in a ritual stoning at the end of our street.
farmerman

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 11:44 am
@Percy Mandible ,
Why must moral lessons be documented as factual??
Some concepts are self evident are they not??
cicerone imposter

Tue 17 Jan, 2017 11:49 am
@farmerman,
It seems obvious, thou shalt not kill.
The only problem with the bible are its contradictions - even about killing. I saw too many of these inconsistencies when I was a young teen to believe in such hogwash. I'm the only atheist in our family of christians.

Quote:
Examples of God commanding people to Kill in the Old Testament:

1 Samuel 15:3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

NUMBERS 21:3 The Lord gave the Canaanites over to Israel, who "completely destroyed them and their towns."

NUMBERS 31:17-18 God commanded Moses to kill all of the male Midianite children and "kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man." The virgins were presumably raped. (NOTE: How could the soldiers know which women were virgins?)
cameronleon

Fri 15 Sep, 2017 11:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
In some towns sexual depravity caused the plague of transmission of sexual diseases. Like today with homosexuals in several cities as the greater cause of AIDS transmission plus also hepatitis transmission.

In order to avoid being contaminated, the advice was to eliminate such huge amount of people carrying sexual diseases.

Look that after making war and control a city, and after killing hundreds of inhabitants plus soldiers, the winners used to burn the city, in order to avoid plagues.

God wanted to "purify" the area.

About knowing who was a virgin and who wasn't, that is a good question. How do you do today for knowing the same?

cicerone imposter

Sat 16 Sep, 2017 07:00 pm
@cameronleon,
Sorry. You have micro-vision. Nothing in nature is about "purifying the area." It's what nature does to our planet. The death toll in Florida from the flood is 12 people. It devastated whole areas of Florida, and it killed the good and the bad people within its boundaries. It had nothing to do with any god or gods.
Glennn

Sat 16 Sep, 2017 09:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Good point. In fact, I think I've read it somewhere in the Bible that the STD falls on the sexually non permissive and the sexually permissive . . . or something like that.
0 Replies