BERNIE SANDERS’ IGNORANCE ON ISRAEL

Miller

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:24 am

BERNIE SANDERS’ IGNORANCE ON ISRAEL

April 10, 2016
by Ken Berwitz

From Mr. Sanders’ interview with the New York Daily News:

Daily News: And I’m going to look at 2014, which was the latest conflict. What should Israel have done instead?

Sanders: You’re asking me now to make not only decisions for the Israeli government but for the Israeli military, and I don’t quite think I’m qualified to make decisions. But I think it is fair to say that the level of attacks against civilian areas…and I do know that the Palestinians, some of them, were using civilian areas to launch missiles. Makes it very difficult. But I think most international observers would say that the attacks against Gaza were indiscriminate and that a lot of innocent people were killed who should not have been killed…. my recollection is over 10,000 innocent people were killed in Gaza. Does that sound right?

Daily News: I think it’s probably high, but we can look at that.

Sanders: I don’t have it in my number…but I think it’s over 10,000. My understanding is that a whole lot of apartment houses were leveled. Hospitals, I think, were bombed. So yeah, I do believe and I don’t think I’m alone in believing that Israel’s force was more indiscriminate than it should have been.

Brilliant, Bernie…

except…

-The number killed was a small fraction of 10,000: even the UN, which hates Israel, pegged it at about 2,500;

-The casualties were tremendously weighted toward young military-age men, which suggests that Israel’s bombing, far from being indiscriminate (which would have hit women and children in their proportion of the population) was targeted at the people attacking Israel;

-Israel – unlike any country I have ever heard of in the history of the world – literally WARNED the Palestinian Arab population of where and when it was going to be hitting them, so civilians could get out of the way;

-The attacks, as has been reported by countless sources, were specifically launched from civilian areas, so that Israel would be faced with the choice of either allowing them free rein to kill as many Israelis as they could, or hitting back and killing the civilians Palestinian Arabs – not Israelis, but Palestinian Arabs – put in harm’s way.

If Bernie Sanders had stopped at “You’re asking me now to make not only decisions for the Israeli government but for the Israeli military, and I don’t quite think I’m qualified to make decisions.” he would have given an unsatisfactory answer, but at least would not sound like an Israel-hating ignoramus. He chose sounding like an Israel-hating ignoramus instead.

This is what should be sitting in the Oval Office? God help us.

hopelesslypartisan.com, is a web site which is dedicated to honest, blunt, debate on the issues of our time.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,366 • Replies: 4
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 02:48 pm
@Miller,
10,000 is the number of Gazans injured during the 2014 Israel-Gaza conflict.

While Sanders isn't a Zionist fanatic, he does subscribe to the dead-end "Two State Solution,' however.
oralloy

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 08:44 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
While Sanders isn't a Zionist fanatic, he does subscribe to the dead-end "Two State Solution,' however.

The only alternative to the two state solution, is the Palestinians getting nothing at all.

I hope you enjoy seeing the Palestinians get "nothing at all" as much as I'm going to enjoy seeing it.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:45 pm
@oralloy,
It's merely perpetuating the strife that will inevitably lead to the destruction of the state of Israel.
oralloy

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2016 01:42 am
@InfraBlue,
Israel isn't going to be destroyed.

Whenever a Palestinian tries to murder people, he or she will be gunned down like an animal. Meanwhile Israel will keep on using all of the land for her own benefit.

That's a win-win for Israel, and a lose-lose for the Palestinians.
0 Replies