Is The Bible Just a Good Book?

Amoh5

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 05:11 pm
@Leadfoot,
I do get a little annoyed with these evolutionists, I suspect there's a bit of monkey business going on amongst them...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 07:14 pm
Ah-hahahahahahahaha . . .

You can't beat this place for free, unintended humor.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 08:53 pm
@Setanta,
You should see me in Vegas, it's killer stuff..
0 Replies

brianjakub

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 12:29 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
The only thing we actually do observe is that the human body acts like a machine and that thoughts appear to be electro-chemical processes in the brain. You can make up any fantasy you want about what might be true, but without a jot of evidence that it's so, it is not justified logically to believe it.
How can matter create a new idea? Doesn't the new idea just use matter as a host to express it like a parasite? Couldn't the thoughts arise metaphysically, and then appear in elctro-chemical processes. Do you have evidence to suggest your assumption is more likely than this one.
Quote:
But you are alleging something very specific, that we live on in some other way after we die, yet you don't have a particle of evidence that it is so. The fact that we can't disprove it is hardly be evidence to justify an actual belief in it.
What if there was a man that said he did it, and provided a lot of evidence he was telling the truth. He claimed there was a mind that could use the whole universe as a host and he was the words of the ideas that mind formed. He then used that universe to build the electro-chemical intelligent machine you are talking about. Then he became an electro-chemical machine himself and told us he did it and why. And then finally he died and lived on in some other way somewhere else. A lot of people saw it, and told a lot of other people. But since nobody else can do it today(unless they go somewhere else), a lot of people don't believe, the a lot of people that saw it happen.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 03:41 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
oralloy wrote:
There is so much that we don't know that we can't possibility presume that reality is limited only to what we currently understand.

But you are alleging something very specific, that we live on in some other way after we die, yet you don't have a particle of evidence that it is so.

I've not alleged anything of the sort. I said that there is no way that we could possibly know what the truth of the matter is (and even gave examples to show how wide the possibilities are).
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 11:10 am
@anthony1312002,
The sanity, charity, and especially the basic truthfulnesss about how life really is. I see people on here object to the violence in it (violently object!!!) and then go and post somewhere else about how violent the world is. Makes you want to shake them...So you want a truthful Bible about the violent world that mentions no violence.

But I do believe a fair amount of them are embarrassed that they are so illogical. Can't prove it but I have very telling signs of that.
JehovahLoves

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 08:01 pm
The Bible gives Moral and Spiritual insight, explains Human Suffering and Conflict, and it Gives Hope
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 11:32 am
I love "Song of Songs"...
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:37 pm
@Miller,
I used to like that one, but now in later years I identify more with Solomon in his crotchety years in Ecclesiastes.

"Vanity, vanity, all is vanity. "
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 05:00 am
@anthony1312002,
who says it´s good?
anthony1312002

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 08:26 am
@momoends,
Hi momoends, could I ask what you mean when you say, who says it's good?
anthony1312002

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 08:35 am
@AugustineBrother,
That's why Imitating God's Son, Jesus, in the way he patiently dealt with people, even those who may at times be hostile to us, shows what the goal is. To gain then and help them to see how only God's Kingdom can bring an end to all of the violence and suffering taking place today. For one to place their hope in a human solution, say through human governments, will only bring continued disappointment. Jeremiah 10:23 is an unescapable truth for it says:

Jeremiah 10:23 I well know, O Jehovah, that man’s way does not belong to him. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.
momoends

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2016 01:59 am
@anthony1312002,
a book is considered good or bad based on its writing style, the strength of the plot or the relevance of the story told in it..... as a book, not a religious sacred text, i wouldn´t considered it to be a "good" book
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2016 02:14 am
@anthony1312002,
"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's"
i think Jesus meant to teach us that good is found is different way of lives and different kinds of people. He meant to teach us to keep faith apart from social issues and regulations, to respect governments and civil authorities´s power and rightful competencies as something independent of spiritual laws that shouldn´t be touched or meddled with in the name of God.

I can´t even understand what´s meant to be taught in that verse
anthony1312002

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 08:10 am
@momoends,
Well, the Bible does explain what Jesus meant. The explanation of Matthew 22:21 is provided in the book of Romans 13:1-7. In these verses the apostle highlights how Christians are under obligation to give to governmental authorities (Ceasar) the respect and cooperation that is due to them such as the paying of taxes and obeying the laws they implement. That is giving Cesar's things to Cesar.

The giving God's things to God would involve our being loyal to Jehovah and his Son Jesus even when the governmental authorities (Cesar) would try to restrict us from doing so. We would give God devotion and loyalty above all else.

Does this help?
AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 12:38 pm
@anthony1312002,
No, the Bible does not do what you say. You can read the Institution of the Eucharist with not a clue as to which side the author was on -- and that is why to this day the Catholics have to defend themselves from the Protestant interpretation. Both are there in the story but of course not both are true, that the story makes clear.

The Methodists near me recently reversed themselves entirely and now say abortion is taking of innocent life. That testifies to their understanding of Church but their reversalS testify to the Catholic Church.

So it appeaers to me and I can't doubt it.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 12:39 pm
@momoends,
Too much the coward to even say 'It is NOT good'. Still I'm glad you unwittingly show yourself.
0 Replies