Is The Bible Just a Good Book?

anthony1312002

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 03:01 pm
@farmerman,
While that is true of the many fables that exist, even among its critics and opponents the Bible has proven itself to be historically accurate not in just some cases, but incredibly in all cases where it names people, places and events. A fact that even opponents of the Bible who, try as they may, have been unabke able to explain away.
oralloy

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 03:10 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
So are you claiming that the guys who penned the Bible were objective Historians??

No. They falsified claims just as much as the Egyptians and Mesopotamians did.

This does not prevent historians from sorting out the truth.

farmerman wrote:
Wanna buy a bridge?

No. What in the world would I do with a bridge?
0 Replies

onevoice

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 03:22 pm
@anthony1312002,
No. The bible is not just a good book... To some anyway. And to some it is a book filled with fairy tales, unicorns, and rainbows with a pot of gold at the end. Lol For me... It holds a lot of truths. Honest to goodness truths. The bible says you reap what you sow, budah calls it karma. Either way it's stated... It's the same thing. The truth is really not hard to find.

All it takes is an honest desire and willingness to know the truth. Though the bible has been translated a gazillion times, the truth is still in there... In the original texts. The newer the translation, the deeper you have to dig to find it. Problem is, no one wants to dig. It's just easier to let a pastor tell you his version, or to call it all a lie without ever really digging beyond the surface to find out for yourself.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 03:59 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The Bible was a "horse designed by a committee"
Simple as that.

So was the periodic table of elements. Neither makes any sense unless you understand the underlying logic.

Simple as that.
farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 04:08 pm
@Leadfoot,
I think you picked the wrong one to underpin your worldview there Lead foots.

Mendeleyeev and Meyer independently came up with their own "Periodic Laws" even before the periodic table was organized.

Simply stated their Periodic LAW is;

"whenever the chemical elements are arranged by increasing atomic mass, their chemical properties recur periodically."
Surely you remembered this from HS chemisstry. This can be stated as an equation.

Try this with a bible
onevoice

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 04:59 pm
@farmerman,
Farmerman may I ask you a question?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 05:17 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:

Try this with a bible

If I hadn't already done the equivalent of that I wouldn't have made the comparison.

Fact is only a small percentage of people know what the periodic table is about. You happen to be among them.

Only a small percentage of people see the underlying logic in the bible. You don't currently belong to that group.

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 05:40 pm
@anthony1312002,
anthony1312002 wrote:

The Bible was completed about two thousand years ago. Since then, countless other books have come and gone. But not the Bible. To this date it continues to be the most widely published and distributed of any and all books in some 2,300 languages. Why might this be?

Because it tells people what they want to hear, e.g. they won't really die, most of their enemies will be punished, etc. Some people will choose the comforting, easy answer over a complex, difficult, somewhat unpleasant truth
farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 06:32 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Only a small percentage of people see the underlying logic in the bible. You don't currently belong to that group.

I think youre , once again, confusing belief and fact.

PS, nice try in the conflation department.
oralloy

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 02:31 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Because it tells people what they want to hear, e.g. they won't really die, most of their enemies will be punished, etc. Some people will choose the comforting, easy answer over a complex, difficult, somewhat unpleasant truth

How does one manage to figure out what the truth is in this matter?
Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 03:14 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I appreciated how Larry McMurtry always stuck in some historical characters into the plots of his stories. I wonder whether or not the bible was similarly penned.?

Ha . . . i enjoyed that. I read one of his books, i think it was entitled "All for Billy," or some such nonsense. It purported to be about Billy the Kid. There was an historical figure named Billy the Kid--that's as close to historical accuracy as McMurtry came in that load of old hoseshit--the rest was pure, lunatic fantasy.

I like the idea of using McMurtry's BS as a metaphor for scripture.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 03:16 am
@anthony1312002,
anthony1312002 wrote:
. . . the Bible has proven itself to be historically accurate not in just some cases, but incredibly in all cases where it names people, places and events.

This is absolute bullsh*t . . . you just make it up as you go along, eh? Just like the clowns that wrote your cherished bobble.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 06:09 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I think youre , once again, confusing belief and fact.

But how could you tell unless you knew what my evidence was?
Quote:
PS, nice try in the conflation department.

Likewise with your conflation of my POV and 6000 yr. old earth 'Creationists'.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 07:02 am
@Leadfoot,
Your penchant for using an aversion technique to minimize your error I find amusing.
Your belief that you even posed any evidence lets us view your delusion at a closer level.

You may carry on.
As far as the 6K world, I think youve distingusihed your POV as an OEC rather than a YEC
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 07:37 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Your belief that you even posed any evidence lets us view your delusion at a closer level.
More conflation on your part. I haven't posed any evidence for the underlying logic of the bible.

I occasionally discuss the bible in the context of comparing other believers' interpretations but discovering the underlying logic is something each individual has to do himself.

It's not a secret, it's like education, there is no shortcut.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 07:46 am
@Leadfoot,
Apparently you ned to practice Reading Comp. I said it was "your belief that youve posted (evidence) an THAT allows me to view delusional behavior . Still trying to lie your way our even after being caught in the corner.
Learning the KLINGON language takes effort and education also, but for what value and end?
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 08:01 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I said it was "your belief that youve posted (evidence) an THAT allows me to view delusional behavior
Apparently it is YOUR reading comprehension that needs work.

What part of
Quote:
"I have not posed/(posted) any evidence...".
do you not understand?
Or are you trying to say that you know I have some secret belief that I really did posed/posted that evidence?

And are you intentionally changing the word posed to posted or just doing your usual typos?
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 09:28 am
@anthony1312002,
It has historical content - So does every document ever produced.
But is not, nor ever was, a document compiled as a history book.
mark noble

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 09:30 am
@oralloy,
'true'?
How can 'truth' be absolute?
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:57 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

How does one manage to figure out what the truth is in this matter?

One can, at least, determine if there is sufficient evidence that the Bible is a true account.