Should i stay with someone who is unsure if they want to be with me?

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 06:24 am
So this is going to take some explaining but here goes, note i have done some research on other sites but nothing gave me a definitive answer and decided to get my own personalized one.

So my girlfriend and i of 2 years have recently been in a rough patch. I am 20 years old and she is 16. We have been through more than most in our 2 years together, she suffers from anxiety and i am mildy depressed at times and this one has me stumped as to wether i should cut my losses or make it work.

So my girlfriend had been acting out of character over the last week and then this is where it all it started. On the Friday she confronted me that she was unsure on what she wanted in life, totally understandable, and was unsure wether she wanted to be "tied down". We came to an agreement (reluctantly on my part) that she would be "single" for the weekend to get her thoughts collected and decide what she wanted. The reason single is in astericks is because i believed we were together and i was waiting to find out if she would call it quits, and she thought she was single, seeing if she wanted to get back together. On the Saturday night i recieved a text saying that she had "messed up and i wasnt going to want her back after this". She asked me to come over and i did.

I found out she had kissed a guy (she had previously had feelings for) and that she regretted doing it and begged me to take her back and that this would never happen again. I did so, as i love her too much to let her go and thought that this is what needed to happen for her to realise she loved me and didnt want anybody else. She told me "It didnt feel right in the slightest and wasnt her *insert my name*." I was able to forgive her, and move on and attempt to better our relationship, you live you learn type thing.

Today is Sunday, we had a nice day together at her sisters birthday, after i stayed the night with her. It came to the evening and she wanted me to take her to see her new friend that she said she was seeing the night before when the shenanigans went down, and i did. I was to pick her up after those 3 hours she spent there, which i spent killing time waiting to find out when she wanted picking up. On the way home i asked if she would like me to stay the night with her again (trying to make the most of every second i could spend with her, as i was still rather hurt from the previous night) to which she asked for some alone time. I got a bit upset at this, because i thought she would feel the same way, and it soon turned into another argument. We established that i love her more than she does, and that she feels smothered by me wanting to spend so much time together. Me smothering her was a previous problem we had encountered and obviously raised red flags for her thinking things were going straight back to how they were, she proceeded to tell me she was still unsure wether or not she wanted to be with me.

At this stage i feel completely mind f***ed and slightly used, as the night before she was begging for me back and telling me how much she cared for me. After sitting in the car for half an hour discussing the situation we were in, we came to a mutual agreement of things we wanted in our relationship, and she then told me she wanted me to stay the night.

When i was having a smoke before bed, this is when i did my research on "Should i stay with someone who is unsure if they want to be with me", and came across a few quotes about how "if you love something set it free, if it comes back its yours, if it doesn't it never was" etc. (She was prepared to let me break up with her before we reached a mutual agreement as mentioned before). But then i found a lovely article called "The One Who Loves More" by Chelsea Fagan, and it got me thinking. If you havent read or come across this article it basically says, if someone doesn't return the love you feel for them, you will lose who you are trying to please them. Which i can relate to very well.

At this stage i am here writing this story of my life out next to the love of my life while she sleeps, still aspiring to those mutual goals we wanted in our relationship. For now i am happy to try and meet these final goals before we decide if our spark that we had, still exists.

Which leads me to question; Should i stay with someone who is unsure if they want to be with me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 845 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 06:41 am
@Onequestion,
No.

That was my answer before I read your post, and it's still my answer.

She is 16. She does not know what she wants out of life yet.

Cut your losses and I think you'll feel relieved, too, if you're completely honest with yourself. The vast, vast majority of teen relationships don't work out. Period. It's okay if yours is one of them.
Onequestion

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 06:59 am
@jespah,
Thankyou for taking time to read my post, and i appreciate your opinion. Would it be cliche of me to say that this one is different, i have been in a few serious relationships and none of them compare to this one which is why this is such a tough decision.

I am aware after i get through the heartbreak if i did decide to walk away that i would feel rather relieved and would probably have that part of me i have given to her back. But then i think of the euphoria i feel when we are at our peak of good times. And that i would do anything to get that back.

In no way will i ignore advice, nor will i follow it blatantly, but i will consider all possibilities so i can make the most informed decision i can. As i said, she literally means everything to me, and i want to make the best decision for me ultimately.
jespah

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 07:46 am
@Onequestion,
Everybody worries about that. Plus everybody falls back on nostalgia at a time like this. I get the feeling the nostalgia won't outweigh what needs to be done.
0 Replies