Safyral birth control question (weight gain)

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2016 03:46 pm
This is my first birth control pill and five days into it I've gained 5.5 lbs. I work out 5-6 days a week and am very strict with my calorie intake. Nothing has changed in my diet or lifestyle but this birth control, can someone please explain??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,158 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2016 03:50 pm
@elliebelliesals,
What did the person prescribing the pill explain to you about side effects?

What happened to your body during various parts of your cycle before you started using the pill? changes in weight through your cycle are normal. using the pill changes what your body thinks is going on in its cycle.

talk to a doc or to a sexual health professional.
0 Replies

DmitriyBronfman

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 05:27 am
@elliebelliesals,
Women often point to birth control pills as a cause of weight gain, but researchers have largely debunked this claim.
Women may experience a slight "water weight" gain shortly after starting the pill because birth control pills can alter your water metabolism. Both the estrogen and progestin in the pills can cause fluid retention, a temporary and usually cyclic effect that often begins in the first month as a result of an increase in sodium. Reducing your salt intake moderately can help control this type of water retention.
As with other possible side effects of the pill, any weight gain is generally minimal and goes away within 2 to 3 months. If you happen to be one of those few women who put on pounds, talk to your doctor. The estrogen in the pill can also cause weight gain due to increased breast, hip, or thigh tissue, usually after several months on the pill. This causes swollen ankles, breast tenderness, discomfort with contact lenses, or a weight gain of up to five pounds.
0 Replies