gollum

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2016 02:40 pm
What is the objection to populism? Why isn't everyone a populist?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 907 • Replies: 6
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:15 am
@gollum,
Because the rich lose power and the poor lose handouts. The majority of the middle are conservative populists but can not outspend the elite to get representation.
engineer

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:29 am
@gollum,
Likely because most people do not spend their time studying economics and foreign policy so following public opinion is often not in the best interests of the public or the country.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 02:24 pm
@gollum,
Usually when I hear populist ideas, I find that they are the worst ideas that I've ever heard.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 03:46 pm
@woiyo,
wolyo-

Thank you.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 04:14 pm
I heard the Edsel was the result of a populist survey.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 08:15 pm
@gollum,
I'm not sure if there really is an objection to populism. I suspect if you ask 100 different people to tell you what is a populist, their answers will probably be all over the map. I also suspect that if you read the definition of the word (populist) out of a dictionary, most people would probably discover that they too are populist. They just didn't know the actual dictionary definition.

I found a dictionary definition of (populist) from three different dictionaries

First dictionary: Populist is defined as a member or adherent of a political party seeking to represent the interests of ordinary people.

Second dictionary: Populist is defined as a member of a political party claiming to represent the common people.

Third dictionary: Populist is defined as a supporter of the rights and power of the people.

Based on those dictionary definitions I suspect that virtually everyone would see themselves as a populist. They probably don't really know the dictionary definition of the word.
0 Replies