• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,641 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jillmvc

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 04:35 am
@jillmvc,
This is what I've guessed so far. If you know I'm wrong- let me know.

Purple: Igneous Intrusive - Porphyry; the term porphyry refers to the purple-red form of this stone. Consisting of large-grained crystals such as feldspar or quartz.

White: Metamorphic – Quartzite; forms when a sandstone is altered by heat and pressure. Conditions recrystallize sand grains and silica that binds them together. Forms at convergent plate boundaries- sandstone is metamorphosed into quartzite while deeply buried.

Pink: Metamorphic – Quartzite; rocks stained by iron can be pink/red or purple. (Similar physical properties and feel to white quartzite)

Orange: Metamorphic – Quartzite; other impurities can cause quartzite to be orange, yellow, brown, green, or blue

Red/black: Sedimentary – Breccia; made up of angular to subangular, randomly oriented clasts of other sedimentary rocks. Produced by intrusive processes and associated with porphyry stocks.

Blue/green: Sedimentary – Breccia; made up of angular to subangular, randomly oriented clasts of other sedimentary rocks. Produced by intrusive processes and associated with porphyry stocks.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 12:53 pm
@jillmvc,
The one with red spots looks like jasper
0 Replies