Is happyness trained or in our DNA?

Mon 4 Apr, 2016 03:57 pm
I have a newborn daughter, she hasn't learned to smile until about 5 weeks old. Did she know happiness before she learned to smile? Does she know happiness now that she knows how to smile?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,719 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

roger

Mon 4 Apr, 2016 04:01 pm
@Earl Goff,
I have wondered about that, too. Some people seem constantly upbeat and happy it's almost weird.

Whether happiness and smiling are the same might be a totally different question.
Lordyaswas

Mon 4 Apr, 2016 04:02 pm
Happiness?

Humbug.
ossobuco

Mon 4 Apr, 2016 04:08 pm
@Lordyaswas,
As Bonnie would say, "have you ever seen me happy?"
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Tue 5 Apr, 2016 03:18 am
@roger,
Quote:
Whether happiness and smiling are the same might be a totally different question.

Indeed. I believe smiling develops in babies as a social thing; when babies smile we smile back; this is true of older children and adults. The fact that someone is smiling or not is a very poor indicator of their state of happiness.

In some cultures people smile when they are embarrassed; it would be ridiculous to ask if a small baby feels embarrassed.

0 Replies

HarishMarnad

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 01:06 am
@Earl Goff,
Happiness is a positive emotion which we all feel. They baby might not "know" about it but it can certainly feel it. Ideally, the smile in a tiny indicator of happiness and we can take it that the baby is happier when it smiles. However,as we grow we find ways to pretend our smile and hence it cannot always be trusted.

Cheers Smile
0 Replies