Getting Married in 3 weeks, worried it'll be boring

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 01:11 pm
I get married on 30th April, I'm extremely excited to finally marry my partner of 4 years whom I have a gorgeous daughter with.

But I'm worried my wedding will be boring. I live in the UK. I've done the planning solely by myself even down to deciding when and where we'll get married, my partner was happy as long as I am. I've never been to a wedding so not sure if this is acceptable. So does this sound ok to you?

We're getting married in a registry office with 42 of friends and family. The registry office is in the next town across from our home (about 15miles away) and is a gorgeous room. I loved it as soon as I saw it. Ceremony is about 30 minutes long, includes songs that sum up our relationship, a reading and obviously our vows.

After that we have a further 20 people invited to a party and buffet, at the tennis club in our home town. No sit down meal. We have the whole building hired out.

Downstairs: we're having a bar (we're paying for staff from the club to run the bar) and buffet. There's also a dance floor which we're having 50 air filled white and red balloons on for people to play with, and we plan to make a playlist up on our Iphones and use a docking station to play our favourite songs to people. We have helium filled heart shaped balloons to go around the room, and the buffet table. Tables will be covered with red and white table clothes. There will be a small seating area by the bar and buffet. Buffet will be all my favourite party food. And my partner is baking 3 cakes, flapjacks, cupcakes, cookies and other assorted yummy baked goods.

Upstairs: We have comfy couches which will be set out in groups of 2 (2 couches opposite each other) with a table in the middle. There's no specific decoration up here, but there's large patio doors that open out onto a balcony and look out over the courts and the fields and river surrounding my home town. People will have access to the balcony, and hopefully the weathers nice so we can have some photos taken around the local scenery.

People will be able to move freely between the two areas. And I plan to make a short speech at the beginning of the party. The children will have a cupcake each with their name on and we have a photographer doing photos. It's a casual affair, I'm not expecting anyone to dress up, as long they're not wearing jeans I'm not bothered. We've booked the teenis club from 3-10pm.

Is it going to be boring? I'm so worried it'll be horribly boring and no-one will enjoy themselves.

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 01:16 pm
@SansaBaby,
As long as the music gets people going , you'll be fine. Make sure you've got stuff that different generations will enjoy - the more you get people dancing, the happier everyone will be.

My experience is that older groups will start dancing sooner than anyone else, if the music tempts them at all.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 03:04 pm
@SansaBaby,
You have music, food and alcohol - that's a party. I like the nice touch of having a quieter area to relax in. Sometimes people enjoy getting away from the party area to talk.

Do you have any outgoing type friends? You could get them to get the dancing starting, maybe have them sort of run the party --- ie. lets make a toast to the couple. Usually though if you have the 3 items above it is just natural for people to socialize and have fun.

But definitely if you have a good friend or two or family members - see if they can head up the party --- making sure stuff is where it should be and help deal with any problems (if any crop up) - that way freeing you two to enjoy your wedding day.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 03:25 pm
@SansaBaby,
I work for a wedding blog and I look at wedding pictures all day long. These are mainly higher-end affairs.

I can tell you that (and I have reviewed probably, no lie, over 10,000 images) the weddings that look like the most fun are the ones where people get up and dance. Go with a mix of tunes. Fast and slow, old and new. The sort of silly stuff people find amusing (The Chicken Dance exists for a reason!), romantic stuff, etc. One thing you might want to do is ask some special couples what their wedding song was, and make sure those are included.
0 Replies