Workplace cultures

Angel23

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2016 06:28 am
Every workplace has different cultures. In other words, different cultures means different ways people interact with each other (e.g formal vs informal). Also, every workplace has different level of professionalism (e.g. McD's vs Olive Garden). A more professional workplace has less tolerance for conversational errors such as I have. I still make weird comments without realizing, but I could do good in fast food or equally not professional setting. I've been at my current job for a year now without a problem. (I even got a solid 4 out of 5 on my eval).Then again, my current job at fast food is less professional than my last job.

I'm just wondering could ppl like me ever improve enough to work in a corporate office where fuse is really short for conversational mistakes? And could most people (in general) succeed in Walmart stores and corporate offices? Or is it just a few? Thx.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,382 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2016 07:09 am
Some workplaces make an effort to adjust to people with disabilities or conditions. Where I work (a very professional government legal finance office) there is a person with Tourettes and he can't help saying wildly inappropriate things, e.g. about people's appearance, and he is supported well, as disability legislation in my country requires. New staff are a bit surprised by him, but overall the feeling is "he may be a weird guy, but he's our weird guy". Of course it helps that he is very good at his job.
farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2016 07:30 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
yeh, creative based organizations often give an appearance of a poorly controlled mob.

I think the Mcd"s world is more regimented as far as rules of conduct and language. In more professional organizations you usually have a contract that may be amended periodically but its expected you understand. Anything that still operates within bounds of good taste (or at least excellent senses of humor) is pretty much supported .
(I suppose that religious based organizations that are professional may have additional rules of conduct but Ive always tried to steer clear of them after I once visited Orall Roberts University for a "paleobiology workshop".
(That was a friggin joke and many of us left after like 2 days)
farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2016 07:32 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
I would love to have had a geologist with Tourettes work with us. Wed just have to watch him closely in client meetings.
0 Replies

Angel23

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2016 11:34 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Are places that accommodate Such things rare? Here in the US it appears to be but idk. I guess they can't accommodate if they don't know u got a condition.
0 Replies

Angel23

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2016 11:36 am
@farmerman,
McDonald's and other fast food, yes they are in general lax. Compare that with Walmart and Sam's and there's a certain difference in professionalism.
0 Replies