Really dry, itchy skin

Ragman

Mon 4 Apr, 2016 02:35 pm
@Blickers,
Thanks for sharing. It's very helpful. Clearly you've spent a lot of time researching the topic and what works for you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 4 Apr, 2016 02:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Meantime, I've had a small bottle of tea tree oil for at least five years now. I used it straight on those neck skin tags (fingers?), which is what I bought it for.. It worked after a few days of once a day dabbing, and caused no problem for my skin. They say to add a tad of water, wherever I read about it, but I didn't after the first time.

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000848.htm

Er, despite mention on med websites, I am not obese or even 'heavy' and I don't have diabetes, at least not yet. I am, though, g'damned old.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 4 Apr, 2016 03:07 pm
@Blickers,
those plnts still contain various alkaloids. Potatoes and tomatoes contain solanine which needs a fairly hefty dose to kill you but if you eat the leaves and stems of the plants, it CAN make you wish you were dead.
Chili peppers contain capsacium which, while it has a toxic affect on some folks, wont kill youbut will give varying degrees of diarrhea .

Peach pits and walnut husks still do contain a glycoside cyanogen but the almond source "bitter" apricots are usually steamed or dried which, like casava root, will drive off the cyanide. Cherry pits also contain the cyanide inside the pit. Apple seeds are really dangerous if you chew on em. It doesnt take much ctanide to do you in

cyanide is one of those defense chemicals that made several plant groups "invincible" to pests or it would allow the plant to colonize an area by poisoning the substrate.

We sometimes brow a Sudan Grass pasture mix to improve soil tilth in fallow pastures. We can let cattle graze there all summer and early fll. BUT , once a frost hits it. It becomes a deadly cyanide carrying grass that can be smelled acres awy. Many farmers have lost prize dairy cattle by forgetting to get the girls out of a lush SUDAX pasture that has been hit by a light frost.

This is just something that all farmers have to know to protect from inadvertently killing your stock by improper grazing.
NEVER would we allow a walnut tree in any pasture. Its a silent killer. If you ever go to a walnut grove, you will see very few different weeds growing benath the trees. Mostly youll see mosses and a very few leafy plants
0 Replies

margo

Mon 4 Apr, 2016 08:54 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Probably a Brit. I wonder which one.

Just couldn't imagine which one!

Some good ideas here, though.
roger

Mon 4 Apr, 2016 09:02 pm
@margo,
"I wonder which one" was more or less rhetorical.
margo

Tue 5 Apr, 2016 01:01 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

"I wonder which one" was more or less rhetorical.

yep!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 5 Apr, 2016 01:04 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Surprisingly, I just happened to have a bottle of tea tree oil on the shelf. I'm using my left arm as a test bed as we speak.

well?
Lordyaswas

Tue 5 Apr, 2016 02:34 pm
@margo,
margo wrote:

roger wrote:

Probably a Brit. I wonder which one.

Just couldn't imagine which one!

Some good ideas here, though.

Not me, guv. Honest.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 5 Apr, 2016 02:40 pm
@ehBeth,
I used my left forearm as a test bed, and after two days, I agree with Blickers on the irritation. Not having a handy bottle of grape seed oil, I'm sticking with the Eucerin Smoothing Repair. Our Walmart had a limited selection of their extensive product line, but this one is working extremely well, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
ossobuco

Tue 5 Apr, 2016 03:04 pm
@roger,
Thanks for the testing and recommendation.
roger

Tue 5 Apr, 2016 03:08 pm
@ossobuco,
I would have also checked out Tes yeux noirs' recommendation for Aveeno, but having found one thing that works well, it's time to quit spending money. Their product line seems as extensive as that of Eucerin.
ossobuco

Tue 5 Apr, 2016 04:47 pm
@roger,
I'm the one that had an Aveeno bath that worked for a relatively few minutes. Talk about annoying. On the other hand, that was now a while ago, so I won't slam them, maybe there are changes since 2000.
0 Replies

Glennn

Tue 5 Apr, 2016 05:07 pm
WARNING!

Reading this thread may cause your skin to feel dry and itchy even when it isn't.

Thanks Roger.
roger

Tue 5 Apr, 2016 05:13 pm
@Glennn,
I have also found that if you approach someone while scratching your head, neck, arms, ribs, and back they have an almost uncontrollable urge to start scratching.

You take your amusement where you find it.
Glennn

Tue 5 Apr, 2016 05:28 pm
@roger,
Quote:
You take your amusement where you find it.

Well then I dare say that your forearm and ankle itching problem is your karmic reward for amusing yourself at the expense of others. My guess is that if you stop influencing others to scratch imaginary itches, your problem will go away.
roger

Tue 5 Apr, 2016 05:32 pm
@Glennn,
Yeah, but imaginary means it's all in my head. If I quit scratching what doesn't itch, would I lose my head?
Glennn

Tue 5 Apr, 2016 06:16 pm
@roger,
Yes, you would. I was going to tell you that, but I figured that losing your head is part of your karma for influencing others to scratch, and I didn't want to get in the way of justice. But since you brought it up, I'm inclined to believe that you were meant to be told. What you do with this information is your call.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 6 Apr, 2016 03:46 am
@roger,
so what's working for you? Ive been busy at Villanova
Awenthomas9

Sat 18 Jun, 2016 10:49 am
@roger,
Hi,
To treat dry or itchy skin, I always use coconut oil. It is one of the best and natural treatment for eczema.
I would recommend to you, definitely try this
Thanks!!
0 Replies

roger

Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:27 pm
@farmerman,
Sorry for the long delayed answer. I went with the Eucerin suggestion. Turns out the brand has many products, and I went with their Smoothing Repair. In two days the itching was gone, and so was the dry and flaking skin. If I remember and bother to use it, the condition doesn't come back. I suspect that any of their products whose name includes "Repair" will work about as well.