Debate Topic

maxdancona

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2016 11:03 am
@silhouette,
silhouette wrote:

Please allow me to make it more clear.
1.It is true that several ethnicities used to suffer persecution in ancient China. But, that only happened long long ago, not now in the People's Republic of China. I hear about China has already enforced a series of policies, for example, Regional Autonomy for ethnic minorities, to handle multi- ethnie relations. And ethnic minorities in China even enjoy perquisite given by policies. The chances are that few if there is ethnic discrimination in China in recent decades.
2.I'm not saying that i have Universal Truth while people from other culture are totally wrong. I didn't say that and probably will never say that.
3.Here my question just refers to"racial" discrimination rather than "ethnic" discrimination.

I don't think you understand what is happening in China.

In China today, the police will arrest you if you practice certain cultural traditions. I don't know what your definition of "ethnic discrimination" is.

Do you really think that arresting and imprisoning people for being part of a minority ethnic group (without giving up your cultural practices) is a good way to "handle multi-ethnic relations"?

timur

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2016 11:27 am
Silhouette wrote:
1.It is true that several ethnicities used to suffer persecution in ancient China. But, that only happened long long ago, not now in the People's Republic of China.

Geez, people are always trying to bend reality to their own views:

Quote:
Despite the official stance of the People’s Republic of China (PRC), which nominally recognizes the Uyghur people as equal citizens, Uyghur Muslims have always had a troubled relationship with Chinese Communist Party (CCP) central government authorities. The CCP currently considers Uyghurs part of the global radical Islamist threat. Facing a Beijing-supported influx of Chinese migrants, harsh repression of political dissent, and limitations on the expression of their distinct identity, the Uyghur people are struggling for cultural survival. The arbitrary arrest, torture, and “disappearance” of those considered “separatists” is widely perpetrated against Uyghurs inhabiting China’s northern Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, and overt fear has infused the nationwide population. Amidst a plethora of human rights abuses, Uyghur protests against state-sanctioned discrimination have reached a fever pitch. Many Uyghurs want more autonomy than what they are currently allowed, and some even desire a separate state. At the same time, radical Islamists outside the mainstream Uyghur populace have responded to Chinese repression with violent attacks, further jeopardizing the Uyghur’s relations with CCP authority.

Lash

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2016 11:37 am
@Foofie,
Let's say the protected area (protected by income demands) is happily isolated from the irritation of racial issues, but when you venture to public recreational locations that aren't protected in the Bay Area, the people you are with, who have always espoused liberal political views are rampantly racist in their perceptions of the blacks and Hispanics in your environment.

Limousine Liberals, I think they're called.
Foofie

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2016 07:13 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Let's say the protected area (protected by income demands) is happily isolated from the irritation of racial issues, but when you venture to public recreational locations that aren't protected in the Bay Area, the people you are with, who have always espoused liberal political views are rampantly racist in their perceptions of the blacks and Hispanics in your environment.

Limousine Liberals, I think they're called.

The concern with not being racist seems to disenfranchise one with the American right to pursue happiness if that happiness depends on the very human trait of being most happy when one is in a milieu with those that one has the most in common with.
Lash

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2016 07:47 pm
@Foofie,
The people obviously have the right to live in towns and cities so expensive that they are relatively certain, due to America segregating by race via capitalism, to avoid rubbing shoulders with minorities.

As long as this oligarchical form of government stands, this segregation can continue unabated.

To be rid of blacks, move to SF where there are 3% blacks.

silhouette

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 11:21 am
@maxdancona,
I'd like to ask your definition of "certain cultural traditions", too. In most cases, the most possible reason that Police arrest someone could be he/she has done harm to the society under the flag of so-called "certain cultural traditions".
Of course, i truly believe the existence of unjust cases. But those unjust cases not only happen in China, but aslo in America, in some other places. When it comes to abusement of powers of arrest, i'll easily think of reports on some cases, for example a police officer (white people) shoots black people in America. It's quite common, isn't it? Besides, unjust cases happen not only to people in the minority, but also to other people. There is no need to emphasise whether they are the Uyghur or the Han or ……
Well, my question is "Places with lower rates of minorities, different kinds of people (e.g. China) are less racist than places with more minorities (e.g. The US)?" And what i'm talking about is "racial" discrimination among, for example, white people, black people and yellow people, instead of "ethnic" discrimination among, for example, the Han, the Uyghur and other minorities.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 11:41 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

The people obviously have the right to live in towns and cities so expensive that they are relatively certain, due to America segregating by race via capitalism, to avoid rubbing shoulders with minorities.

As long as this oligarchical form of government stands, this segregation can continue unabated.

To be rid of blacks, move to SF where there are 3% blacks.

No. I believe we segregate by social class via capitalism. Have you noticed that the highest priced developments tend to be WASP? So, while Catholics and Jews can live nearby, they oftentimes are not the neighbors of those that truly believe in social class. And, if they do live in the same development, they are quite successful in my observations.

I would not be caught dead in SF, nor the west coast. I am happy to be a New York Jew; however, I learned what makes this country tick, and it is social class of white Protestant America, in my opinion. My point is that many are deluded to think that they have "arrived," since they are living comfortably.
0 Replies

silhouette

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 12:22 pm
@timur,
In fact, PRC has no reason to nominally recognizes the Uyghur people as equal citizens" while "considers Uyghurs part of the global radical Islamist threat" secretly. We all know that most people want peace and prosperity instead of violence, unheals and so-called "independence". And we define these people as "People", who have normal desires. Meanwhile, we cannot deny the existence of some separatists, who hide themselves among people and never stop doing evil. In order to maintain the stability, the governmen must take actions.
timur

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 01:07 pm
@silhouette,
Well, in fact you are trying to justify the repression exerted by a tyrannical regime over a whole people (the Uighurs) just because there are (supposedly) some separatists between them.

Shoot first, ask questions later, as the saying goes..
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 03:59 pm
@silhouette,
I'm an irish american and have worn kimonos off and on for at least forty years.
I have a long time friend who had a collection of prized kimonos. He also had a collection of Stickley furniture. Americans vary. He was not Japanese in heritage. His girlfriend of the time, still my friend, was. He had the collection long before he met her.

Generally, life isn't simplistic a lot of the time.
silhouette

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2016 11:10 pm
@timur,
It seems that you have already overstated the seriousness of something. How do you know there is "repression" exerted by a tyrannical regime over a whole people?
silhouette

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 10:19 am
@ossobuco,
Couldn't agree more——life isn't simplistic a lot of the time.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 10:20 am
@silhouette,
It happens to me to have met some of those that have been able to escape the regime.

I've witnessed it in their flesh.
silhouette

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2016 11:54 pm
@timur,
I totally understand and believe what you said, but i choose to be optimistic, which of course doesn't mean to be naive optimistic. It would be better to sustain hope whatever happens.
0 Replies