Credit where credit is due: The Republican establishment deserves credit for repudiating Trump

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 08:59 pm
Trump's cartoonish demagoguery is in some ways the Republican party reaping what they have sown (or what they have not done enough to eradicate from their party) but we should at least give the sane Republicans credit for not going along with the populist demagoguery that Trump's campaign represents. Even when it is surprisingly (and sadly) popular.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 09:08 pm
Unfortunately, the second most popular Republican running is at least as bad as Trump and possibly even worse. Cruz frightens and disgusts me.
parados

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 09:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It seems a little bit insincere. They decry Trump's call for no muslims being allowed to enter the US but then back Cruz who calls for patrolling muslim neighborhoods.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 11:31 pm
@parados,
The Republican establishment are no fans of Cruz either, and saw his candidacy as a danger to their party. At this point he's unfortunately a useful tool to help deny Donald the nomination.

Things like Donald being dumped by Red State after his comments about Kelly or Romney standing up to say something seem to me to be sincere repudiations of Donald.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 11:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's not a good time for sane Republicans insofar as representation, that is for sure.
roger

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 12:18 am
@Robert Gentel,
+1 on that
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 03:26 am
@Robert Gentel,
Not a good time for sane anybodies as far as I can see.

But yes, go Republican Trump condemners
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 04:28 am
Darn those Republicans for not running someone indistinguishable from a Democrat!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 04:32 am
I'm rather cynical about this. I believe that if the Republican powers that be thought Trump had a good shot at winning, they'd be lining up to kiss his . . . to shake his hand.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 05:25 am
@Robert Gentel,
But many (many, many) Republican leaders have said that though they don't support Trump in the primaries, they will support him in the general election. I certainly praise the few who say they will vote their conscious in the general as opposed to those who say they will follow their party even if Trump heads the ticket.
George

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 05:47 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
. . . Even when it is surprisingly (and sadly) popular.
And it is. No democracy is any better than its demos.
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 05:54 am
Are you just trying to cheer us up, you old charm school dropout?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 06:53 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

But many (many, many) Republican leaders have said that though they don't support Trump in the primaries, they will support him in the general election. I certainly praise the few who say they will vote their conscious in the general as opposed to those who say they will follow their party even if Trump heads the ticket.

Daily, I see a small group of users bitterly exasperate themselves to the people that say that they want Sanders to win the Democratic ticket and won't vote for Hillary should she get the nomination.

Do you equally praise the few Democrats who say they will vote their conscious in the general as opposed to those who say they will follow their party even if Hillary heads the ticket? I've not seen that expressed much here.
engineer

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 07:11 am
@McGentrix,
Yes, I'm good with Democrats who say they will vote their conscious in the general. I think that everyone should vote their conscious in every election. I'm a bit less ok with those who say they will vote for a third party as a protest vote. I consider that the same as not voting and different than voting for a third party because of a passionate belief in that candidate.

I do have some reservations about fervent Sanders supporters who say they could never support Clinton because Clinton's and Sanders' positions are so similar to each other and so dramatically different than the Republicans. For someone advocating for Sanders to ignore someone 90% in tune with Sanders in the general doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but if there was a third party candidate that really captured their imagination, I can't argue with that.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 07:37 am
@engineer,
Clinton's and Sanders' positions are only similar in campaign rhetoric, because Clinton copies Sanders' words for votes. Other than that, there is little similarity.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 07:38 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Clinton's and Sanders' positions are only similar in campaign rhetoric, because Clinton copies Sanders' words for votes. Other than that, there is little similarity.

This thread is about Republicans. Sorry for the diversion.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 07:38 am
@McGentrix,
This is not a good comparison.

First of all, as one of the fervent Sanders supporters I feel confident in saying that most of us will come around in the general election. I will get good and drunk before I vote for Hillary, but I will vote for her (or should I say I will vote against Trump or Cruz).

Trump's unfavorability rating is much worse than Hillary's, both within his own party, and in the country at large.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 07:51 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I disagree. Look at their time together in the Senate. Their voting records match almost exactly. For all that Sanders voters what to paint Clinton has a completely different beast, the record just doesn't show that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/upshot/the-senate-votes-that-divided-hillary-clinton-and-bernie-sanders.html?_r=0
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 08:21 am
Trump is the best hope for the Republican party's self destruction.

Now if only we could find a Democratic Trump.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 08:30 am
@engineer,
That's a bogus argument. Voting records aren't a representative sample. They only show differences on legislation that has made it through committee. The 93% figure includes naming of post offices.

There are significant differences between Clinton and Sanders that are important to me. They include.

- Foreign policy, interventionist wars and policy in the Israel/Palestine conflict.
- Single payer health care (which in the next decade will be a huge issue).
- Wall Street reform and regulation.
- Criminal justice.

These are all very big differences in their records and in their current policy. These are real reasons that I will be deeply disappointed in a Clinton nomination. Incidentally there are a couple of areas where I disagree with Sanders, for example free trade.

As a whole I believe that a Sanders administration will be far better than another Clinton administration.