Will VW survive?

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 04:33 pm
I'm wondering if VW will survive from the latest boondoggle of emission low readings? They've already missed the government deadline.
Quote:
A U.S. District Court judge has given Volkswagen one more month to come up with an acceptable plan to get its rigged diesel engines off the road, after the automaker failed to meet today's deadline.

View best answer, chosen by cicerone imposter
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2016 07:40 pm
I have been wondering the same thing. This story does not seem to garner much press coverage.
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 05:39 am
@edgarblythe,
Toyota qent through a big scandal in 2009 and 10. They took a huge hit in recompense an stock decline. Look at em now.
I think VW may never be a major brand in US and Canada but the rest of the world?
Remember they have some awesome luxury brands and sportscars that are not "fuel efficient: (in their marketing)

Walter Hinteler
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 06:11 am
@farmerman,
I'm sure that they will survive.
Listing of the brands, owned 100% by Volkswagen:
Volkswagen (passenger cars), Volkswagen (commercial cars), Audi, Škoda Auto, Seat, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Scania, Ducati, Porsche, Volkswagen Marine, Porsche Holding [Europe's largest car selling organisation], Volkswagen Power Station, Volkswagen Butchery [Europe's largest producer of bratwurst], ... ...

They own 75% of MAN [trucks, buses, diesel engines and turbomachinery]
izzythepush

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 07:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Of course they'll survive, they still produce decent cars.
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 08:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
SO THEY own LAMBO? Thats why Lambos have taken an upward tic in reliability.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 08:41 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
SO THEY own LAMBO?
Since 1998 (via AUDI)
engineer

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 08:52 am
@izzythepush,
I'm sure VW will survive, they may even thrive. The one sure way to completely restore their reputation would be to significantly advance the technology for clean cars. If I were running the company, I would turn that great body of technical expertise onto really moving clean car technology forward. That would show that VW has learned their lesson and give them a good competitive advantage going forward.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 09:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Does VW have an ag equipment division or company.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 09:31 am
@farmerman,
No. (Skoda had had such division. And Porsche.)

Edit: Shareholdings of Volkswagen
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2016 04:07 pm
Of course they'll survive. Fiat's still in business, isn't it?
0 Replies